Preparing for active shooter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elm Creek Smith

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. I always carry my S&W Model 642-2 with at least one and usually two speedstrips.
2. When I'm working in uniform (armed security) I carry a 4 inch S&W Model 686-6 with four speedloaders, baton, pepper spray, Taser with spare module, radio, and wear level 2A soft body armor. See #1.
3. When out and about, I carry a 3 inch S&W Model 13-3 with...a number of speedloaders. See #1.
4. See #1.

At work I may have to go looking for an active shooter. If so, I'm not alone and my dispatcher has a gazillion cameras to help track the shooter. Additionally, I have armed officers at the entrances.

Out and about I'm not looking for an active shooter. 1. Cover. 2. Report. Call 911 on one of my phones. STAY ON THE LINE WITH DISPATCHER. (Carry personal and work phones.) 2. Egress if possible taking as many people as I can. 3. Secure immediate area and defend at all costs.

People ask if I'd give family members my spare gun. 1. There is no such thing as a spare gun. 2. They have their own guns.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
50Shooter;2789999I'm just getting back online with OKShooters. I have always enjoyed the discussions. I wanted to toss in my 2 cents on this. According to an FBI study from 2000 to 2013 there were an average of around 12 active shooter events in the US each year. Compare that to the fact there have already been 22 people killed in the US by lightning this year. When you put the risk in perspective the risk is VERY low. You almost have a better chance of winning the lottery than you do being present during an active shooter event. Your best chance of survival is always to immediately and aggressively get out of the building/area. If it happens right in your lap you have no choice but to gun fight with the bad guy. We all can agree on that. If it happens near you but not in your direct line of sight and you decide to close with and stop the shooter you need to think about a couple things. #1 others doing the same thing you are doing may immediately fire on you when they see you with your gun in your hand said:
Great advice. Thanks!

ParkingLot

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Heard Jonathan Gilliam on Sirius the other day. He had four steps to prepare for an active shooter situation. Understanding your environment, train your mind, be aware of surroundings and commit to the fight!

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Heard Jonathan Gilliam on Sirius the other day. He had four steps to prepare for an active shooter situation. Understanding your environment, train your mind, be aware of surroundings and commit to the fight!

Great viewpoint...much more important than the "gear" angle.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just had to LMAO when we had a Active Shooter class here the LE doing the training gave every the only advise he had and that was "Duck, Kiss and Roll" someone asked what that meant and he said Duck behind something and kiss you ass good bye and roll into a hole.

Latest posts

Top Bottom