Prepping a few items for the coming cold front.......?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don’t know nothing about Creek County. Best ask your Neighbors. Sterilization is easy. You can do it anytime yourself. But could be a good gesture to find out who locally Drills and does Pump Work. Call and ask about the charges of Sterilizing your well “Chlorine”. You decide to do them yourself, PM me I will explain.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not going to worry about pulling water out of my well when the power goes.

First, There is a small lake about 400' form me, I can dip all the water I want. I have more firewood than I can burn, so I can easily make a fire to sterilize the water.

2nd, well, I have a generator....

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On all my wells I pull the well head up about 6’ and take a small drill bit and pit a weep hole in the pipe, plastic pipe is what is in my wells.

When the well shuts off the water drains out of the pipe down to that 6’ mark, and so far I’ve never had one to freeze up. I also keep on hand some heat lamp bulbs, never used any heat tape just cause the bulbs are what my folks used.

Ya probably already know this, but in your house (s) open up the cabinets and let your water run a small stream on the cold water side.

If ya get in a bind with really frigid temps, look for a weed burner and a portable propane tank, handy to have in case something freezes up.

This will indeed work IF you have no Pressure Tank and Pressure Switch on the Well.

Otherwise you have created a problem for unnecessary wear and tear as well as cost your wallet by doing this. And it will do nothing for freeze conditions as all your doing is letting the water in your pressure tank to pressure bleed out the hole you just drilled in your pump piping till the pressure switch lowers down till the pump kicks on, then it just repeats itself unnecessarily.

We do this on wells that just pump water and no pressure tank is used, as in filling large caw tanks. But doing this with a pressure tank and such is a waste and will cause your well pump to unnecessarily cycle when not needed and does not eliminate freezing.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mr.Glock you’re right, when I wrote that I was thinking more of stock wells/water and not for a house with a pressure tank.

Everyone’s supposed to know what I’m talking about when ai write it. LOL

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
sorry if this is a duplicate. I posted to the wrong thread earlier

a tool that will come in handy for frozen pipes is an electric Heat Gun. I have one that I use more than I expected. I mainly got it to use on shrink insulators for electrical connections but it is great anytime you want some flameless heat

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you have animals, bring them in to a protective shelter-barn, shed etc. Make sure your car has antifreeze in the radiator, cover your outside faucets with "foam covers" and if you can't get them at this late date, wrap newspaper or old rags around them-especially the north side.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you have animals, bring them in to a protective shelter-barn, shed etc. Make sure your car has antifreeze in the radiator, cover your outside faucets with "foam covers" and if you can't get them at this late date, wrap newspaper or old rags around them-especially the north side.
I fill my foam covers with pipe insulation wrap for extra density... Just a thought.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fired up the generators and made sure started and full of fuel. Been cutting firewood the past few weeks.

No ice being forecast, but just in case the generators are good to go.

Have plenty of firewood.

Pickups batteries are hooked up to battery tenders.

Ready for spring!

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On your comment about the well depth and getting water. 191ft isn’t nothing, and especially when your thirsty and need fresh water to live. The buckets will vary in size on average 2-3 gallons of fresh cool water vs drinking nothing but creek water somewhere. Every home with a Water Well needs to be set up with the proper tools to pull the pump/piping out of well to be able to utilize the well in time of need. There are hand pump systems you can install on/in your well that will work manually with your existing pump/piping in the well in place. We recommend these to people that does not have the physical ability to pull their own pump out if need.

And don’t forget about sterilizing the well ever 12 to 16 months. Coliform Bacteria can and will build up in your well and piping system in your home.

https://www.bisonpumps.com/deep-well-hand-pump/

Pulling the pump is not too hard. I keep one of these old fashioned well buckets stored away in case the need ever arises.
1671650934921.png

Latest posts

Top Bottom