Prepping is a Waste of Time and Money: Prove Me Wrong

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, my comment wasn't about .gov 'smartness' but that every generation seems to have said the same thing, that 'the current batch of politicians and .gov employees suck', and that only the past ones knew how to take care of anything worth taking care of :laugh6:
Putting Mic down, stepping off soapbox, getting a drink, not Jack Daniels or Bud.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Insurance isn't a scam to those on the other side of a loss, be it fire, natural disaster or a liability suit. It's just a matter of how much you're willing to self-insure. That philosophy goes for prepping too.
I'm afraid insurance sometimes can be a scam. There are stories on the news where the companies dont want to pay off for storm damage. I have widow neighbor whose insurance company told her she didn't qualify for a new roof because the damage wasn't' bad enough (State Farm). This time I took my inspector to her and he said they took advantage of you, you do have enough damage for a roof replacement. Sometimes they won't live up to their advertisements.
But, I wouldn't be without insurance. If...and some are predicting it, we have another great Depression we can have enough to last a while but never enough to last the long haul. All we can do is stave off starvation because things will get very bad, everything will be in short supply except for people who will want your goodies for themselves.

Last edited:

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm afraid insurance sometimes can be a scam. There are stories on the news where the companies dont want to pay off for storm damage. I have widow neighbor whose insurance company told her she didn't qualify for a new roof because the damage wasn't' bad enough (State Farm). This time I took my inspector to her and he said they took advantage of you, you do have enough damage for a roof replacement. Sometimes they won't live up to their advertisements.
But, I wouldn't be without insurance. If...and some are predicting it, we have another great Depression we can have enough to last a while but never enough to last the long haul. All we can do is stave off starvation because things will get very bad, everything will be in short supply except for people who will want your goodies for themselves.

So to put things in context, you're replying to a 5 year old comment were someone said health insurance, home, and auto etc is a scam. Well, no it's not. It's an agreement/contract and it's up to either party to hold up their part of the bargain. Want to know how many times I've seen contractor on a roof with a quarter making "hail damage" ? Want to know how many times I've seen a bogus work comp claim? Hell I have 3 bogus auto claims on my desk right now. One is a 5 million dollar claim (posted just under 2 years after the accident) that a woman's son suffers from PTSD, from an accident where the autos never touched each other, they just claimed they were run off the road. I can go on, ad nauseum.

Either way, at the end of the day, if someone DOES believe the concept is a scam then they should self insure. Just like with prepping, it's all about assessing your risk/exposure and acting accordingly.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So to put things in context, you're replying to a 5 year old comment were someone said health insurance, home, and auto etc is a scam. Well, no it's not. It's an agreement/contract and it's up to either party to hold up their part of the bargain. Want to know how many times I've seen contractor on a roof with a quarter making "hail damage" ? Want to know how many times I've seen a bogus work comp claim? Hell I have 3 bogus auto claims on my desk right now. One is a 5 million dollar claim (posted just under 2 years after the accident) that a woman's son suffers from PTSD, from an accident where the autos never touched each other, they just claimed they were run off the road. I can go on, ad nauseum.

Either way, at the end of the day, if someone DOES believe the concept is a scam then they should self insure. Just like with prepping, it's all about assessing your risk/exposure and acting accordingly.
Wait a sec...I can get 5 mil for PTSD?

Okieprepper

Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty...
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
images.jpeg

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am of the belief that most if not all of the older guys here who heard about the Great Depression, Dust Bowl, working for 10 cents per hour- blah, blah blah and cannot get out of the preparation mode. all I heard when I was a kid was how hard it used to be and it was going to happen again and you couldn't trust the government. It went in one ear and out the other for the most part and I trusted the gov't but years have passed and times have changed. I no longer trust the gov't, they have lied, back tracked, reneged on promises made and have come to realize that the gov't is not the answer.
We are the only one that can help our family during a time of national or even local trouble/disaster so we need to prepare now and not after the fact. It just makes sense to have something set back for hard times. The bad part is that we all have family or friends that fail to prepare, they live day-to-day and we'll have to aid them somewhat which will reduce our stock levels and that is something we have to look forward to whether we like it or not.
I'm rambling but we really don't know what is down the road awaiting us but I know things aren't as they used to be-even a few years ago. Having greenbacks set back may not help because screwball is wanting Bitcoin, food is about the only commodity we can set back and use as far as I can see. A means to protect our families is also necessary but to be used with the utmost caution....

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am of the belief that most if not all of the older guys here who heard about the Great Depression, Dust Bowl, working for 10 cents per hour- blah, blah blah and cannot get out of the preparation mode. all I heard when I was a kid was how hard it used to be and it was going to happen again and you couldn't trust the government. It went in one ear and out the other for the most part and I trusted the gov't but years have passed and times have changed. I no longer trust the gov't, they have lied, back tracked, reneged on promises made and have come to realize that the gov't is not the answer.
We are the only one that can help our family during a time of national or even local trouble/disaster so we need to prepare now and not after the fact. It just makes sense to have something set back for hard times. The bad part is that we all have family or friends that fail to prepare, they live day-to-day and we'll have to aid them somewhat which will reduce our stock levels and that is something we have to look forward to whether we like it or not.
I'm rambling but we really don't know what is down the road awaiting us but I know things aren't as they used to be-even a few years ago. Having greenbacks set back may not help because screwball is wanting Bitcoin, food is about the only commodity we can set back and use as far as I can see. A means to protect our families is also necessary but to be used with the utmost caution....
As in time of yore, so many these days believe that their vast financial investments are going to keep them from going hungry if/when STHF - Bwahahahah! Paper wealth is worthless in hard times.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As in time of yore, so many these days believe that their vast financial investments are going to keep them from going hungry if/when STHF - Bwahahahah! Paper wealth is worthless in hard times.
After the Civil War, people had a lot of Confederate cash but it was worthless. One of my teachers many years ago said that they wallpapered their walls with Confederate bills after the war because the money had no value.

Latest posts

Top Bottom