Prescription drug costs - let's hear your stories/rants

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
when the VA treated me and cured Hep C, Sofosbuvir was a smooth $1000 a pill, i took them for 24 weeks = $168,000, plus there were additional anti viral drugs i took as a cocktail twice a day...don't know the cost. sofosbuvir in other countries is less than a grand a month

snafu21

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My dermatologist prescribed my a medication called Taclonex. Took to pharmacist who said it wasn't covered by my insurance and it'd cost me $1, 030 bucks out of pocket. It's a combo of two cheap creams but combined they are worth gold.

Got a generic foam called Enstilar that's terrible from the internet for 40 dollars and a generic cream without the fancy name that is covered by my insurance for a whopping 20 dollars....

To think, they wanted over a grand for a 60g tube of hand cream....

Attachments

• IMG_20190330_211842__01.jpg
    IMG_20190330_211842__01.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 109

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a prescription for Robaxin 500mg. First one, then a second insurer, quit covering it at all. I've still got some, so I don't need a refill right now, but I'm gonna' have to have an alternative.

And Robaxin's been generic for eons. Methocarbamol it's called. Lately pharmacies been having trouble getting it at all. There're so many cheap-as-shite muscle relaxers out there they don't want to cover methocarbamol, but in my experience, that's one of the only ones that doesn't really cause much if any drowsiness. None, actually, in most cases. Baclofen maybe, but it makes me nauseated.

Anyways... some screwy things going on, for sure.

<edit> And I keep a couple of big bottle of methocarbamol sitting in the cabinet for when my back acts up. It's great stuff, man.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For my wife it was the insulin's. Ended up having to deal with N and R in multiple doses per day so we didn't end up with her not having any coverage half way through the year. Shoot you saw the list of stuff @tRidiot all the issues and meds was a nightmare some days. A doctor makes a seat of the pants change and she ended up with her legs swelling and bursting, then it's months of dealing with woundcare. What would happen when you can't buy half the meds? Ended up getting the insulin at walmart since it's 25 per vial vs the online pharmacy that is supposed to be cheaper charging about 150 per vial but with the insurance it's the same cost.... Would have been same cost as having one of the new insulins like Lantus at those prices. Then again walmart was ALWAYS screwing it all up so one time they tell her she must not have reached the deductible, then it's covered the next it's the same story cause they manage it right. I refused to go in and pick it up as there was always some issue and if I went in to pick up the syringes as she was out and not feeling good they treat me like an addict.... Was ready to jerk one smartmouth over the counter one day and drag him outside.

But the meds always end up that the sicker you are the more side effects they cause therefore the more other stuff you need to take and the less you can afford it all.

I honestly don't even want to deal with having my back and shoulder looked at since I hurt it again while moving my wife and trying to revive her, I can't deal with the run around.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t know the drug, but a retired guy I just met has a prescription that cost him over $6500 per year.
Insurance pays half that. He traveled to Mexico, crossed the border and bought the same years supply for $500. The savings paid for his expenses driving and two weeks rent for his RV slip in a very nice palm tree lined park.
The pharmacist at some of the border towns have been educated in the US and choose to work there vs in the US. What’s interesting is that the DEA and border patrol don’t care what you bring back over the border as long as it’s not opioids or addictive.
Drugs that you need a doctors prescription for is not required there.
Now, you say that there is a big chance that they may be adulterated or knock off imitation that could be dangerous.
The folks that Winter in the Rio Grande Valley have a very tight community with retired Doctors and retired Pharmacists among the population that communicate. Some in the area for over 20 years.
The pharmacy’s across the border are regulated by the Government and they have strict standards about making sure they are not bad drugs. The Mexican government makes too much money from the pharms to allow anything illegal or bad to be sold.
If you have a terribly expensive need for meds, I’d suggest a vacation trip.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Drug reps visit the Doctor's office bottlenecking the patients who arrived on time and the Doc pushes the medication the drug rep leaves hiking up patient costs at the pharmacy.
When I wait at a Doctor's office and I arrive on time and there is a delay of 30 minutes, I expect to be told why. If it's an emergency I can accept that but if I can hear the Doctor talking and laughing with the staff that's another thing. I was at the VA in OKC an Sat and waited in the exam chair for 45 minutes and I got up and walked out. It helped my fellow veterans behind me.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Drug reps visit the Doctor's office bottlenecking the patients who arrived on time and the Doc pushes the medication the drug rep leaves hiking up patient costs at the pharmacy.
When I wait at a Doctor's office and I arrive on time and there is a delay of 30 minutes, I expect to be told why. If it's an emergency I can accept that but if I can hear the Doctor talking and laughing with the staff that's another thing. I was at the VA in OKC an Sat and waited in the exam chair for 45 minutes and I got up and walked out. It helped my fellow veterans behind me.

What do you expect your doctor to do? Should he/she be able to have a joke with his staff and share an anecdote or just rushing frazzled from room to room constantly in apology mode to every single patient he/she sees all day every day and never actually being a human being or having any interactions that are not begging forgiveness from his/her patients for not rushing them right back to inspect their corns or ask about their bowel movements?

Asking for a friend...

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was prescribed Tribenzor, a combo of 3 meds. It was cheaper for me to get the 3 separate meds and I learned that one of the meds wasn't good for me as a UPS driver... lol

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was prescribed Tribenzor, a combo of 3 meds. It was cheaper for me to get the 3 separate meds and I learned that one of the meds wasn't good for me as a UPS driver... lol

Yup.... that diuretic would probably cramp your style driving for UPS! lol

I'm actually surprised, looking up that triple med, it's $71 a month on GoodRx, about $65 a month if you buy 3 months' worth at a time. Shocking. Of course, the equivalent generics would be $12 a month or $30 for 3 months' worth.

Latest posts

Top Bottom