Pretty birds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reminds me of a hunt with my Dad in the '60's in SW Kansas. Miserable day, lots of snow, had to step on the birds to make them flush. End of day we were in little diner filled with hunters complaing about no birds. In come these two guys that looked like they came out of a catalog of hunting duds, clean, smiling, etc.Ask how they did they said GREAT! Got so many left some on the farmer's poarch to thank him. Said they pulled in as farmer was leaving taking wife to Dr.'s gave them permission to hunt. End of story we went out to lookin the trunk at the birds,the were all Guinea hens, They had killed his yard birds and left some for them to eat.
Lmao!

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty dry game bird in relation to others. You have to keep this in mind when deciding how to cook them because they are not going to taste like a chicken,If you just fry or roast it you will see what I mean by dry.
Some fritzy people like them cooked with wine,
About the best way I ever had them was francaise style where the breasts are dusted in flour and fried then a rich brown gravy is made from the drippings and the birds placed back in that spooned over it to simmer a while. Makes the meat moister that way and nice flavor.
Just find a good chicken francaise recipe and give it a go.

That picture makes me wish my old Springer Spaniel Chester was still alive. Me and that ole boy put a many a pheasant, blue quail and chukar in a pot up in Western Idaho and Eastern Oregon back in the day. Good times.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty dry game bird in relation to others. You have to keep this in mind when deciding how to cook them because they are not going to taste like a chicken,If you just fry or roast it you will see what I mean by dry.
Some fritzy people like them cooked with wine,
About the best way I ever had them was francaise style where the breasts are dusted in flour and fried then a rich brown gravy is made from the drippings and the birds placed back in that spooned over it to simmer a while. Makes the meat moister that way and nice flavor.
Just find a good chicken francaise recipe and give it a go.

That picture makes me wish my old Springer Spaniel Chester was still alive. Me and that ole boy put a many a pheasant, blue quail and chukar in a pot up in Western Idaho and Eastern Oregon back in the day. Good times.
Brining the breasts before frying them like chicken strips works wonders as well.
Been hunting them since the 80's behind Britney's. It was rare we didn't limit out after lots of miles in the fields. Totally different than a quail hunt. Much more physical.

Latest posts

Top Bottom