Pretty Cool and Spooky, Recorded Sounds From a Black Hole

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't read all that, but if the black hole is 250 million light years away, how can they be certain that what they are listening to is actually coming from that black hole?

What have they got that is so precise in its "direction" to hit any object for listening at that distance?

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, trust the science. Like all those spectacular, soul stirring, Hubble photos were originally black and white and enhanced by computers with color in the lab, then released.

I wouldn't take a scientist's word about hearing sounds from a black hole if the microphone was pointed at Whoopie Goldberg.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, trust the science. Like all those spectacular, soul stirring, Hubble photos were originally black and white and enhanced by computers with color in the lab, then released.

I wouldn't take a scientist's word about hearing sounds from a black hole if the microphone was pointed at Whoopie Goldberg.
Tell someone that there are 100 billion stars in the galaxy, and they will instantly believe you.

But put up a sign that says "Wet Paint" and they have to touch it to see.... :rollingla

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Um, I can sorta remember in between my sleep sessions in science the sound waves can't travel in a vacuum so what am I missing here???:anyone:
Remember Calvin and Hobbes? The cartoon? When they used a cardboard box to "transmogrify" something into something else completely arbitrary?

Probably the same here. Using a bunch of data from radio waves to x-rays and then turn them into sound via "sonification" - at best they have some correlation between essentially electromagnetic wave data and audio data using the pitch or wavelengths in their conversion process. At worst, they made a bunch of crap up and smoked a joint for the vibes.

I looked only briefly and that's kinda what it seemed like they were doing.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remember Calvin and Hobbes? The cartoon? When they used a cardboard box to "transmogrify" something into something else completely arbitrary?

Probably the same here. Using a bunch of data from radio waves to x-rays and then turn them into sound via "sonification" - at best they have some correlation between essentially electromagnetic wave data and audio data using the pitch or wavelengths in their conversion process. At worst, they made a bunch of crap up and smoked a joint for the vibes.

I looked only briefly and that's kinda what it seemed like they were doing.
The lowest note, the one identified back in 2003, is a B-flat, just over 57 octaves below middle C; at that pitch, its frequency is 10 million years. The lowest note detectable by humans has a frequency of one-twentieth of a second.

One frequency, that is one complete sine wave is 10 million years?
1661410361501.png

That is all just assigned human hearing range frequencies or computer generated crap from data they collected. They could have just as easily converted the sound freqs to microwave or UV waves.

Latest posts

Top Bottom