Pretty good reason to use serious safety chains when towing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As an RV owner, it would be tough to say what caused the driver to lose control.
High winds, improper loading resulting in low tongue weight that can cause sway, road conditions resulting in porpoising between the trailer and tow vehicle, a broken weight distribution hitch component (happened to me) or any number of things like going to sleep at the wheel.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
True story about safety chains. My dad was a professional truck driver, and we also liked camping. However, he had the philosophy that if the camper broke loose from the tow vehicle, he wanted it going off on its own and destroying itself and not do any damage to the tow vehicle. So, he would attach the safety chain to the vehicle with two or three wraps of baling wire. Trailer broke loose one time and stayed rock steady behind the tow vehicle with nary a bobble of the ride.

After that, he always attached the chains properly.

That baling wire can be really tough stuff.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The OP asked if this photo could be shared over here. It will give something of a perspective of the gorge and its depth. At this point, I-84 crosses Malad Gorge on two different bridges, which are visible because of the grey colored concrete guardrails. Lower down and all in red is a third bridge that is a pedestrian bridge for crossing the gorge in Malad Gorge State Park.

I imagine that most people have no clue that there is a waterfall directly below those interstate bridges.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For those that might be interested in Malad Gorge, below is a link to my Smugmug site where I posted pictures from two different visits to the state park.

Malad Gorge State Park Photos

As an added bonus, here is a picture of a juvenile eagle we saw on that first trip to the Gorge. We were in an area of the park that created a kind of "cove" towards the south end of the park and heard the eagle "crying out." Wife's cousin and I both scanned the cliffs, trying to find him. I finally got out my 70-200mm lens and zoomed in and searched along the face of the cliff. I'd have never seen him if I hadn't used that lens to get close up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom