Preventing Violence; the Need for Defusing and Deescalation Skills

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree that working to deescalate a situation is almost always better than pushing it. It often helps to 'walk in the other persons shoes' for a moment to help understand what may be causing the problem and how to approach it. Granted that most of us are not in the business of being a psychiatrist, but being able to 'read' someone can sometimes literally mean the difference between life and death.

I agree ...... but sometimes .....sometimes .....a bully needs to be corrected. All though it's rare sometimes they need to be and if you are capable maybe you should. Of course that was before the OSDA and people weren't carrying often

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth ....(Meekness is not weakness. It is being able to restrain yourself when provoked)

Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy

Blessed are the peacemakers for they will be called the children of God.

You missed one, "do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

While I am by no means a religious man I do believe that the good book has some solid advice as to how to lead your life. Sometimes folks are just having one of those days and lose it for whatever reason.( I raise my hand) I try to keep this in mind when dealing with aggressive types. May not be a bad person, just life has thrown them a wrench that they can't deal with at that moment.
Calm, respectful actions almost always defuse these folks, now occasionally you run into a jackass that just needs his/her I's dotted and T's crossed.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is a reason farmers are usually happy .........
Oh I don't know about that. When I lived in Kansas many of the farmers gathered at a local eatery on Sunday mornings with their wives. Seems that all the farmers did was bitched about the weather and all the wives just bitched about the farmers.

edl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree ...... but sometimes .....sometimes .....a bully needs to be corrected. All though it's rare sometimes they need to be and if you are capable maybe you should. Of course that was before the OSDA and people weren't carrying often

And what if the bully beats the fire out of you or kills you while you were tryin to correct them? You don't know what other people have for weapons OR skills. It is best to avoid trouble.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And what if the bully beats the fire out of you or kills you while you were tryin to correct them? You don't know what other people have for weapons OR skills. It is best to avoid trouble.

Perhaps you should read the whole statment , but on rare occasions using your skills to change a bully's ways is time well spent. Most of of the time the Bully isn't a bad ass, most of the bad asses I've known were stand up people. I had a friend in High School that went into the UFC and you couldn't find a nicer guy unless you were a bully. He was shot during a robbery in Tulsa but recovered

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm the same way, the older I get the less tolerant of people I am,but I don't think thats the way we are suppose to be.

I have some gray hair and those tendentcies , but I grew up with this, If you allow someone or a situation to upset you, it or they mentally got the better of you.. Kinda like the old sticks and stones phrase..

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Long as they stay outside that invisible circle I have drawn around them, they are safe. They step across that line and I have no doubt they aren't wanting to pat me on the head and tell me what a sweet little old lady I am, I will do what I have to. Because I ain't EVER taking another beating. EVER.

Latest posts

Top Bottom