Price of wheel weights?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody know what wheel weights are selling for nowadays? I've got a chance to buy some, but don't know what I should expect to pay. I'm sure there will be some of the 'new' and the 'old' style.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The last time i checked at my scrapyard, they were paying 35 cents a pound for lead didnt matter if it was wheel weights or what it was all the same price. If your buying from a tire store make sure they will quarentee that you are getting all lead or will give you a refund for the none lead ones cause the steel and zinc weights will be alot cheaper at scrap prices.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen lead wheel weights on ebay at $0.80 to $1.00 / lb plus shipping. You can beat that price if you can find a tire shop that is not already under contract with someone. I had one source that would sell me a 5 gallon bucket (around 2/3 to 3/4 full) for $25 but included a mix of lead, zinc, and stick-on weights. I wish I had separated out the lead and calculated the price per lb I was paying for the lead but I'm guessing it was in the neighborhood of $0.40 to $0.50 / lb.

Lead wheel weights are not as easy to find anymore. They are being replaced with zinc / steel weights.

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a coffee can full of old wheel weights that I have had for 40 years or so and some babbit bars too. I used to reload
and cast bullets a long time ago but now just buy them!

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Try and find and independent tire shop first. Some of the small towns that do a lot of trailers and farm equipment have the larger weights and more likely lead, they'll reuse them on trailers and wheat trucks sometimes.
The last bucket I got actually came from an auto repair shop and not a tire shop. They were free so I didn't look a gift horse in the mouth and ask why they had that many.
I did have to sort out the zinc but ended up with about 25 pounds If I remember right.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, folks. I'm sure this will be a mix of lead, zinc and steel, but the price seems to be right. It is a smaller, just-getting-started, type of tire shop.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just picked up a bucket of weights. I paid $30 for it.

I have sorted, but not weighed. It looks like this will be an unusual bucket, because the lead far outweighs the Zinc and steel. Usually, the Zn & Fe will be more in balance, making the bucket too expensive to buy.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What size bucket? Five gallon?

Yes, 5 gal bucket.

The zinc that I sort out, I go ahead and render down separately. I cast into ingots, and trade it to a fellow that casts fishing weights. He gives me nasty, filthy lead that he doesn't want to deal with.
The ingots are about 2/3 the weight of lead. The same mold casts lead ingots at ~2.25lb, the Zn casts at 1.5lb.

If you take the Zn to the recycler, it's actually more valuable per pound than Pb. Could be you could work a trade.

Latest posts

Top Bottom