Primary choice of home defense weapon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Primary weapon for home defense?

• Pistol (9mm and smaller)

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • Pistol (357Sig and larger)

Votes: 55 22.2%
  • Shotgun (any action)

Votes: 86 34.7%
  • Rifle (so-called "assault", AR15, semi-auto)

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Rifle (bolt,single shot, other action)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Depends on situtation

Votes: 37 14.9%
  • Other

Votes: 8 3.2%

• Total voters

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Me buck nekkid with my twig n' berries flopping in all it's glory. I figure me sprinting full blast towards the hostile threat with my arms open buck nekkid and yelling "RESISTANCE IS FUTILE! RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!" is all I would need to stop the threat completely...

Not necessarily! If he is a ex-con that has spent any time in prison...then he may have heard & seen that from his cell mate Bubba a few times. He might just naturally assume 'the position'.

Jam Master Jay

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think what you use depends largely on how you plan to use it. A shotgun may not be ideal for going room to room checking out your house but its ideal if you're barricading yourself. I have a .45 for my use if I need to investigate something but I have a 12 gauge for my wife to use with an understanding that she plant herself I the hallway in front of the kids rooms and not move and shoot if someone comes down the hall. In that situation the 12 gauge is ideal. At that range my gun only has a 2"ø pattern but that's better than .45"ø. Not to mention the added mass of flying lead...

Elsie's Daddy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I live on a cattle ranch in the middle of nowhere. I keep several loaded guns at various places in the house. My favorite is an old Crescent Arms sxs 12ga. hammer gun. Kinda deformed legs is only 19 1/2 inches long. My special GOOSE load in in both barrels. I have a .45 acp semi auto carbine standing next to it also loaded with a 30 round magazine. I live alone and often folks ask me what I'm afraid of with all these guns. I tell the truth.. NOTHING !!

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shotgun first, my conceal carry pistol second.
I had the "opportunity" in which someone was trying to break in through my back door, and while my 9mm carry gun was what was the most accessible, I was wishing the whole time my 870 was.
Just wanted to be able to pull the trigger and cut a wide swath a few feet wide and be done with it.
And yes, I'm a very good shot with my 9mm.

CASTRATE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First things that would get a hold of an intruder would be our killer attack shi tsu, Turbo, and our extremely territorial 20 lb cat, Simba. My wife and I both carry 9mm and have them in our nightstands when we're in bed. IF we had time, we would get the scatterguns out of the safe.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My primary concern at the moment as far as what I might need to defend against leads me to an AR or other high cap semi auto, forget scatterguns at this point in time. What I would be expecting to defend my home against currently is people in flak jackets and ballistic helmets wearing safety glasses. Not T-Bone and his thug accomplices. I think even those guys are laying low to see what happens with all this gun hysteria.

Latest posts

Top Bottom