Primary choice of home defense weapon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Primary weapon for home defense?

• Pistol (9mm and smaller)

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • Pistol (357Sig and larger)

Votes: 55 22.2%
  • Shotgun (any action)

Votes: 86 34.7%
  • Rifle (so-called "assault", AR15, semi-auto)

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Rifle (bolt,single shot, other action)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Depends on situtation

Votes: 37 14.9%
  • Other

Votes: 8 3.2%

• Total voters

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A round of 00 Buck contains nine .33 caliber pellets. These pellets are the least efficient design for wounding available. They can easily deflect off of or slip around bones and blood vessels and they create a very miniscule permanent wound cavity, with little to no temporary cavity.
I dont mean to argue but I have seen what this does to a person at close range. I'm not talking about shooting someone from accross the street. the largest room in my house is 22' across so likely I would be even closer than that if I were to shoot an intruder and I'm pretty sure it would daylight the chest where his sternum used to be or take the head plumb off at the neck.
In fact now that I think about it, this maybe overkill and will make a huge mess...my .44 mag maybe best.

Last edited:

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
MoBoost said:
Obviously you know NOTHING about tinnitus. Hearing aids don't fix "I wish I was dead".

Nobody said you have to downgrade to a bow or a rock - if you think AR is the best for HD - have some sense to suppress it.

I'm sticking with 12ga 00 and AK.

You think your AK is any quieter? I've ran a few matches in the shoot house at USSA I'd say I have a better idea than most about how loud a supersonic round is indoors.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dont mean to argue but I have seen what this does to a person at close range. I'm not talking about shooting someone from accross the street. the largest room in my house is 22' across so likely I would be even closer than that if I were to shoot an intruder and I'm pretty sure it would daylight the chest where his sternum used to be or take the head plumb off at the neck.
In fact now that I think about it, this maybe overkill and will make a huge mess...my .44 mag maybe best.

I'm not disagreeing with your choice. You've made a rational decision based on your personal scenario and the challenges you face. I simply disagree with those that say the shotgun is the be all end all in home defense and any other choice is foolish. They're not operating with all the facts, which is all I'm presenting.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not disagreeing with your choice. You've made a rational decision based on your personal scenario and the challenges you face. I simply disagree with those that say the shotgun is the be all end all in home defense and any other choice is foolish. They're not operating with all the facts, which is all I'm presenting.
Well you pretty well picked apart the ability of a 12 ga. with 00 buck shot to be effective in stopping someone at 5 yards. So it sounded like you were telling my I may as well be using a .22 cal. Do cops not carry a shotty in their car?

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For those asking about rifle rounds that wont over penetrate lookup DRT ammo. It's what I plan to load the AR with when I get around to buying HD ammo for it.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well you pretty well picked apart the ability of a 12 ga. with 00 buck shot to be effective in stopping someone at 5 yards. So it sounded like you were telling my I may as well be using a .22 cal. Do cops not carry a shotty in their car?

Apples to oranges. Birdshot will make a nearly single entry wound at 5 yards as well, would you recommend it for self defense? I've not been inside your home, so I have no idea what realistic ranges you might engage an intruder at. I know that the hallway in my home is 32 feet from the corner by the bedroom to the garage door entry. At that range, standard buckshot from an 18" cylinder bore is going to have about a 12-15" spread. At that point in my home, there's not enough room to maneuver an 18" shotgun and barely enough for my suppressed AR with the stock collapsed almost all the way in. Hence one of the reasons I choose the G-21 as primary. I'm not saying it's more effective than a shotgun, I'm saying it suits my skills and application more precisely.

You're inferring that I was making the shotgun out to be no more effective than a .22, when in fact I was merely dispeling the notion that it's a magic boom stick that will lay waste to everything it hits. Most cops who are allowed by department policy these days are either carrying an issued or individually purchased AR. Shotguns still abound because they still have a suitable role, particularly in riot control. Initial reports are coming in that the cops who put down the Wisconsin gunman did it with patrol rifles.

Everyone needs to make their own choice, just as I have. I'm giving up the effectiveness of the 5.56 for the maneuverability and one handed operation of the pistol. All I'm saying is that you weigh the variables for yourself. Your insistence that the shotgun is the only way to go seems defensive moreso than well thought out at this point. I hope that's not the case.

<clap-clap> I'm out...

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Apples to oranges. Birdshot will make a nearly single entry wound at 5 yards as well, would you recommend it for self defense? I've not been inside your home, so I have no idea what realistic ranges you might engage an intruder at. I know that the hallway in my home is 32 feet from the corner by the bedroom to the garage door entry. At that range, standard buckshot from an 18" cylinder bore is going to have about a 12-15" spread. At that point in my home, there's not enough room to maneuver an 18" shotgun and barely enough for my suppressed AR with the stock collapsed almost all the way in. Hence one of the reasons I choose the G-21 as primary. I'm not saying it's more effective than a shotgun, I'm saying it suits my skills and application more precisely.

You're inferring that I was making the shotgun out to be no more effective than a .22, when in fact I was merely dispeling the notion that it's a magic boom stick that will lay waste to everything it hits. Most cops who are allowed by department policy these days are either carrying an issued or individually purchased AR. Shotguns still abound because they still have a suitable role, particularly in riot control. Initial reports are coming in that the cops who put down the Wisconsin gunman did it with patrol rifles.

Everyone needs to make their own choice, just as I have. I'm giving up the effectiveness of the 5.56 for the maneuverability and one handed operation of the pistol. All I'm saying is that you weigh the variables for yourself. Your insistence that the shotgun is the only way to go seems defensive moreso than well thought out at this point. I hope that's not the case.

<clap-clap> I'm out...
wow, you do go to great length to get the last word in. I never said the shotty was the perfect gun for all applications and I didnt undermind the 5.56 but I did express concern for the neighbors if a 5.56 round missed its target and exited my house through a window. A shotty doesnt give me that concern whatsoever.
And I have 3 pistold hidden around the house that I would not have any issue grabbing if it was the closest.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

everyone's situation is slightly different. I've also switched to G17 except with Surefire light with custom aiming LED. where ever hot spot of LED light lands, shot placement will be dead center of light.

since one may not get luxury of a warning on when a home invasion is about to happen. still maintain the best defensive weapon is the one on your person.

with shotty and G17 both equipped with aiming LED lights laying side by side. when investigating a bump in the night moment. tough choice, but I'd pick up the G17 with aiming LED light up over the shotty.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I will just simply point out the "gun buster" sign on my door and ask the burglar to put his weapon away!!!
Hahahajahahahabaha. Ahhhh...gun control....

Latest posts

Top Bottom