Private Investigator

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rimfire and out of state? Explain please. Is that exempted with an Okla CCWL?
CLEET doesn't allow rimfire. Other states don't recognize an Ok PI license. So the authority to carry under that license won't allow me to carry a .22 or carry out of state. An Oklahoma concealed carry permit will allow rimfire and several states honor the permit. That's the advantage to the permit.

An armed PI is only allowed to carry when working a case. You have to keep a case file in your car, and if ask produce it.
That's not true. A PI can carry off duty. It changed in around 2001. Title 59 Section 1750.5.C.3

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CLEET doesn't allow rimfire. Other states don't recognize an Ok PI license. So the authority to carry under that license won't allow me to carry a .22 or carry out of state. An Oklahoma concealed carry permit will allow rimfire and several states honor the permit. That's the advantage to the permit.

That's not true. A PI can carry off duty. It changed in around 2001. Title 59 Section 1750.5.C.3

An armed PI can carry concealed off duty. Just curious Mr. FullAuto where did you find the no SDA training thing? I currently have an armed PI license and had not heard that one. I would be interested in finding out that process.

Also a PI can not carry a 1911. I forgot the exact wording, however it is basically no single action only pistols for CLEET. There is also a caliber restriction that I am too lazy to look up. It is not too restrictive.

With a PI license you can carry out of state if you are working out of state and contact the state prior. Most states will only allow a certain number of days a year before you need to get licensed in that state.

Oh and by the way if you are not crazy the MMPI is a good way to start making you crazy. It is some god awful number of questions long and there are some of the same questions throughout just asked a different way.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
MMPI isn't a problem - I passed it in 1971 as a requirement to get into the teacher ed program @ NSU in Tahlequah. One of my roomies failed and had to take a class in abnormal pyschology before being admitted to the program. True story!!!

Cedar Creek

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
An armed PI can carry concealed off duty. Just curious Mr. FullAuto where did you find the no SDA training thing? I currently have an armed PI license and had not heard that one. I would be interested in finding out that process.
I'm not sure where the exact law is written, but I actually have the exemption form already filled out and signed by an SDA instructor. I got it signed when my wife went through the class. It's just neither of us have sent in the paperwork yet. But your armed CLEET security or PI license will exempt you from SDA training.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure where the exact law is written, but I actually have the exemption form already filled out and signed by an SDA instructor. I got it signed when my wife went through the class. It's just neither of us have sent in the paperwork yet. But your armed CLEET security or PI license will exempt you from SDA training.

When I got out of the Army I still had to shoot I just didn't have to do the classroom stuff.
http://www.ok.gov/osbi/Handgun_Licensing/SDA_FAQs.html#Q3
3. What will exempt me from the Oklahoma SDA training requirement?

The following individuals may be exempt from all or part of the required training and qualification course:

1. A firearms instructor registered with the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation for purposes of the Oklahoma Self‑Defense Act;

2. An active duty law enforcement officer of this state or any of its political subdivisions or of the federal government;

3. A retired law enforcement officer authorized by this state pursuant to Section 1289.8 of this title to carry a firearm;

4. A CLEET-certified armed security officer, armed guard, correctional officer, or any other person having a CLEET certification to carry a firearm in the course of their employment;

5. A person on active military duty, National Guard duty or regular military reserve duty who is a legal resident of this state and who is trained and qualified in the use of handguns;

6. A person honorably discharged from active military duty, National Guard duty or military reserves within twenty (20) years preceding the date of the application for a handgun license pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self‑Defense Act, who is a legal resident of this state, and who has been trained and qualified in the use of handguns;

7. A person retired as a peace officer in good standing from a law enforcement agency located in another state, who is a legal resident of this state, and who has received training equivalent to the training required for CLEET certification in this state; and

8. Any person who is otherwise deemed qualified for a training exemption by CLEET.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey Brother....

Why don't you call some local attorneys or call the ambulance chasers that have commercials on tv and ask them who they use for a PI. Get the phone number, call the PI or PIs and find out how they obtained their license, classes they took, and where the classes are offered.

Just my 2 cents.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Hey Brother....

Why don't you call some local attorneys or call the ambulance chasers that have commercials on tv and ask them who they use for a PI. Get the phone number, call the PI or PIs and find out how they obtained their license, classes they took, and where the classes are offered.

Just my 2 cents.

Don't trust my info?

Cedar Creek.....the MMPI is still paper/pencil color in the circles.......just under 500 questions.

Latest posts

Top Bottom