Private suppressor transaction

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis73

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've seen a few ads where an individual has posted a suppressor for sale or trade. How are the background checks, paperwork, and tax stamp accommodated in these situations? What's the process to stay legal?

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are people that know a lot more than I do about this. Basically you pay for the suppressor. Fill out and send in your Form 4. When you get your stamp then you can pick up your suppressor.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've seen a few ads where an individual has posted a suppressor for sale or trade. How are the background checks, paperwork, and tax stamp accommodated in these situations? What's the process to stay legal?

I have done a couple of NFA private transactions with members of this forum. Nothing to it. Buyer gave me his info and all of the money upfront, I filled out the ATF Form 4 with all of the required info, signed it and sent it to him. He signed it, got his CLEO to sign it, attached his photos and fingerprints, then mailed the package off to NFA Branch. When I received the approved Form 4 back I called him up, we met, and I gave him the item and the paperwork. As long as you are both in the same state there is really nothing to it. If you and the buyer are in different states, then the item will have to transfer to an 01/03 FFL/SOT in the buyers state.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm waiting on one currently from an OSA member. Gave him the money, filled out the forms, sent in forms and a check, and wait for 6 months or so. Same as buying one from a dealer.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've considered selling my AAC 762SD a few times on here, but just can't get myself to do it... I would definitely sell in-state. It seems like you lose to much by going out of state with your sale.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've considered selling my AAC 762SD a few times on here, but just can't get myself to do it... I would definitely sell in-state. It seems like you lose to much by going out of state with your sale.

Yes, to sell it out of state would require 2 transfer taxes to the buyer (1 to his C3 dealer and then 1 to him). No one would want to pay $400 in transfer taxes for a used suppressor unless your price was super low.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, to sell it out of state would require 2 transfer taxes to the buyer (1 to his C3 dealer and then 1 to him). No one would want to pay $400 in transfer taxes for a used suppressor unless your price was super low.

That's the kicker right there. I figure I would be out the $200 for my stamp regardless. That's one of the main reasons I've kept it. Not to mention the lower value of the suppressor because it's used. Those 2 issues together make me want to just go ahead and keep what I have and just buy another one!:sweat:

Travis73

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the good info. I've toyed with the idea of getting a suppressor on and off for quite a while. Now that you guys have explained how private sales work I'll pay more attention when I see one posted. Thanks!

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is too bad they don't have a way to pre buy a tax stamp. You would send in your info and money, they send you a stamp, then when ever you see something you just got to have you buy it. Then you could tell them what you bought.

10Seconds

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is too bad they don't have a way to pre buy a tax stamp. You would send in your info and money, they send you a stamp, then when ever you see something you just got to have you buy it. Then you could tell them what you bought.

That would make too much sense. Thats is the system Missouri uses to buy handguns. You go do paperwork with the sheriff and get a slip that you can just give to the seller. It would make NFA much easier.

Latest posts

Top Bottom