1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

(Probably) a Stupid NFA Question

Discussion in 'NFA & Class III Discussion' started by ShaunyP26, Mar 16, 2017.

1. ShaunyP26

ShaunyP26 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I have a question and feel free to tell me if I'm an idiot, screwed, or if it's a good idea.

I've been thinking more and more about doing the suppressor weld versus detachable. I have an 11.5 inch barrel and have already submitted my Form 1. The reason I'm thinking of doing this is because I probably will always leave it on anyways. Considering I already paid a tax stamp for the SBR I assume I will just have to eat that if I go this route and then pay it again for the suppressor, despite it now being legal if over 16 inches? Yes?

Also, has anyone ever done the direct weld? Is this a really dumb idea? I'm sure cleaning the barrel is a pain in the a**. But other than that and the other legal and tax stamp problems, is it a really stupid idea?

Still learning as I go. Thanks.

2. OKCHunter

OKCHunter Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I'd opt for the ability to move the suppressor to other rifles.

ShaunyP26 likes this.
  3. skyhawk1

skyhawk1 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I agree with OKCHunter, you've already paid for the SBR and you will pay for the suppressor tax stamp also. And yes it would be a pain to clean. You would also void any warranties if there are any. If you or your heirs decide to sell under current law their would still be 2 transfers. I doubt if anybody would buy it that way, I know I wouldn't. Just my 2 cents worth

ShaunyP26 likes this.
  4. Shoot Summ

Shoot Summ Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I see no advantage, and several disadvantages.

Would have been better to build an integrally suppressed barrel, I'm assuming though you are talking about an AR though, if so the gas system creates issues for a suppressed barrel...

ShaunyP26 likes this.
  5. MrShooter

MrShooter Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Just pay the $200 tax stamp and move on. It's better than waiting another year for a second can if you change your mind.

ShaunyP26 likes this.
  6. tomthebaker

tomthebaker Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    You may at some point want to use the suppressor on other rifles. After all, you can only shoot one at a time, so making the most use of your suppressor makes the most sense. I use my AAC 7.62-SDN-6 on 308, 556, and 300 blk both super and subsonic. Both SBR and 16".

ShaunyP26 likes this.
  7. TyMD

TyMD Sharpshooter

Don't forget the cost to have it welded and pinned. I personally would just spend a little extra money and do the two stamps.

ShaunyP26 likes this.
  8. ShaunyP26

ShaunyP26 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Yeah that's kind of where I was going with it. It's a really stupid idea. It's not necessarily about trying to avoid a tax stamp, really. It definitely sounds like more trouble that it's worth and it worth that much less.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

9. ShaunyP26

ShaunyP26 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I imagine it might look something like this if I tried two at a time though.

Double Handed Shooting.gif

skyhawk1 likes this.