(Probably) a Stupid NFA Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShaunyP26

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a question and feel free to tell me if I'm an idiot, screwed, or if it's a good idea.

I've been thinking more and more about doing the suppressor weld versus detachable. I have an 11.5 inch barrel and have already submitted my Form 1. The reason I'm thinking of doing this is because I probably will always leave it on anyways. Considering I already paid a tax stamp for the SBR I assume I will just have to eat that if I go this route and then pay it again for the suppressor, despite it now being legal if over 16 inches? Yes?

Also, has anyone ever done the direct weld? Is this a really dumb idea? I'm sure cleaning the barrel is a pain in the a**. But other than that and the other legal and tax stamp problems, is it a really stupid idea?

Still learning as I go. Thanks.

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd opt for the ability to move the suppressor to other rifles.

I agree with OKCHunter, you've already paid for the SBR and you will pay for the suppressor tax stamp also. And yes it would be a pain to clean. You would also void any warranties if there are any. If you or your heirs decide to sell under current law their would still be 2 transfers. I doubt if anybody would buy it that way, I know I wouldn't. Just my 2 cents worth

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I see no advantage, and several disadvantages.

Would have been better to build an integrally suppressed barrel, I'm assuming though you are talking about an AR though, if so the gas system creates issues for a suppressed barrel...

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You may at some point want to use the suppressor on other rifles. After all, you can only shoot one at a time, so making the most use of your suppressor makes the most sense. I use my AAC 7.62-SDN-6 on 308, 556, and 300 blk both super and subsonic. Both SBR and 16".

ShaunyP26

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah that's kind of where I was going with it. It's a really stupid idea. It's not necessarily about trying to avoid a tax stamp, really. It definitely sounds like more trouble that it's worth and it worth that much less.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

ShaunyP26

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You may at some point want to use the suppressor on other rifles. After all, you can only shoot one at a time, so making the most use of your suppressor makes the most sense. I use my AAC 7.62-SDN-6 on 308, 556, and 300 blk both super and subsonic. Both SBR and 16".

I imagine it might look something like this if I tried two at a time though.

Double Handed Shooting.gif

Latest posts

Top Bottom