Probably a stupid question...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All of the powder recommendations for handguns are faster burning pistol powders, (duh)but if loading say .357mag for a rifle, wouldn’t a slower burning rifle powder be better? Just thinking out loud, don’t plan on trying anything stupid.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In theory, perhaps some argument could be made. But that is still a handgun brass case, designed for limited handgun type pressures. You’ll have to be consoled by the fact that almost all handgun powders are still burning and generating gas by the time the bullet leaves your typical handgun barrel, so you will see velocity increases.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About as slow as I've tried a revolver powder is 4227 in 44 Mag. It worked ok, but there are better choices.

It's hard to get enough in the case to get a clean burn. OTOH, one usually needn't worry about over-pressure with that slow a powder.

I knew a guy that loaded 44 Mag carbine rounds with 4198. I declined the offer to shoot. He liked it, I'm unconvinced.

In 357 Mag, the slowest I've used is H110. Or maybe it was Enforcer. Whichever is slower. I mostly use HS6 or Universal in 357 Mag now. Not so much into the thumpers anymore.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nope, you use the same data for .357 carbine as you do for pistol, if you're talking about max pistol loads. h110 works fine in both, as well as a half-dozen others.
The higher speed in the carbine comes from being pushed longer in the barrel, not from trying anything tricky with powder or loading.
Loading manual are our friends.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some reloading manuals will list both pistol and rifle data i know my Lyman cast bullet does and it list more kinds of powder for a pistol than a rifle. But when comparing the same powder with both the load is the same you just have more choices with a pistol.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some reloading manuals will list both pistol and rifle data i know my Lyman cast bullet does and it list more kinds of powder for a pistol than a rifle. But when comparing the same powder with both the load is the same you just have more choices with a pistol.
My Ruger Carbine will take a different powder than the Ruger Super Redhawk. I remember back in the day on store shelves when there was .44 mag rifle ammo and .44 mag pistol ammo. Older reloading books will show the difference and powders.
I really haven't researched it, using the same load for the redhawk as the carbine I have. There is a marked improvement in velocity though with the rifle using the same load. Don't hold me to this, but I've posted pics in the past of chrony loads one can search to verify.
Pistol was around 1300 fps and the rifle bumped 2000 fps. The same load works well in both guns for the ranges they are effective with.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
VV N110 is the best .357 mag powder I’ve ever used. In handguns it’s best with the 158 and heavier but, it should be fine with the lighter bullets in a carbine. It is actually a fast rifle powder. If you are a velocity junkie that’s your powder in .357.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use Power Pistol in my 357 loads. Shoot em in my wheel guns and lever guns. Y'all may be using better powders. PP was just the first one I saw when I started loading and I haven't strayed from it. I think I loaded some 38s with silhouette powder once.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have a .357 carbine, but I load for .44 Mag carbine; I go with H110 and get great results. I've also used H110 with hot .32-20 rifle loads in a modern Marlin 1894CL and it shot really well.

Cedar Creek

Latest posts

Top Bottom