Problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My son recently bought a very nice SW 586 no dash, and for the first couple of weeks everything was going well with her, then it has started sticking in single action. The hammer stays back but won't fall with the pull of the trigger, yet you can push it off. The strain screw is all the way in, and there has been no problems with double action. This gun came with the box, an looked like its never been fired except for a very light ring on the cylinder. I can't tell if the side plate has been removed, but I fear that the original owner may have played around inside even though he has denied doing so. So any help from the brain trust her would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
If someone could direct me to a gunsmith in or around the Tulsa area as I'm not comfortable taking the sideplate off.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve got a model 64 that has a case of ‘push off’ it functions normally but can be dangerous if the hammer falls when you don’t want it to. Mine is just from wear. Sounds like a rookie action job to me. After watching a few YouTube videos, if the filing on the hammer catch isn’t level or even slanted in some, the push off can occur. With the gun is as clean as you say, I’d guess it’s from being monkey’d with an not wear.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Revolvers are extremely simple to work on. The hardest part is getting the side panel off because of the fit, takes a little persuading lol. the mechanism once opened is straight forward and if you run into a snag you can find a step by step on youtube...
It is possible if the action was working fine and then quit that the pistol has not been thoroughly cleaned in years and a chunk of dry lube has gummed the works up especially if someone used grease.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's not hard.

Remove grips.
Remove screws noting which hole they came from.
Use a hard rawhide mallet, plastic, etc. to whack the grip frame. This will pop the sideplate loose. Do not pry on it. This is the proper way to remove it.

Check for shims on each side of the hammer. I'm betting it's been monkey'd with too. I do agree that it could be old hardened lube gumming up the works too.

Edit to add: Don't cycle it with the side plate off. That's a good way to break hammer and trigger pins.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don’t we have a sticky in the handgun forum anymore about the proper way to dismantle a S&W? It was a very good write up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom