Processing questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As has been mentioned, get the skin off ASAP, it really does act like a blanket and traps heat. You might have a little leeway with deer, but with bigger animals like an elk, that skin is like a quilt. Couldn't believe how thick and insulating the hide on my elk was. Getting the meat cooled quickly will probably make the biggest difference in how it tastes.

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

I'd just bag it up, keep it on ice and drain the water. How far are you having to travel with it?
Oh yeah, keep your tag with it.

Next fall, I'll be hunting in Wyoming so it'd be a long day's drive home. Definitely will be keeping the head/tag! May shoot some does also since the tags are cheap. I'd think bringing their heads back would be better than sex organs. One of my concerns is it will be a friend and I, so we will be shooting a few. Figuring out how to keep the meat good, without running into town for more ice, while out hunting the rest of the days. This makes me think the dry ice wouldn't be a bad idea for that.

Skin it.
Quarter or debone into a cooler.
Soak meat in cool water to cool the meat and remove any hair.
Ice it down (never heard of anyone using dry ice).
Haul off the carcass.
If it’s a doe, I keep the lower half of a front leg, and if it’s a buck, I’ll have the head.
Knock on wood, but I have never been ”stopped” by a game warden.

First, that guy does seem a little crazy!
Every forum I've been reading about hunting out west, those guys love their dry ice to use on their way home. Also reading about people putting generators on hitch carriers and running a chest freezer for their meat on the ride home. Just running it when stopping for fuel/pit stops. Seems excessive to me...

Sorry if I'm diverting this thread off topic a bit!

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Yeti’s keep ice for a few days, so I believe a freezer and generator would be excessive for “a” deer. If you were transporting an elk or two, OK, the freezer/generator scenario might be an appropriate option.

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Yeti’s keep ice for a few days, so I believe a freezer and generator would be excessive for “a” deer. If you were transporting an elk or two, OK, the freezer/generator scenario might be an appropriate option.

Yeah, I agree its extremely excessive for smaller game. I was just giving that example as in a "why do they want to freeze right away, if its best to age it?"

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I’ll share my processing tips...

1.) Buy your wife a KitchenAide in her favorite color
2.) Separately buy the grinder attachment on a different CC or cash.
3.) Use “her kitchenaide” to grind your venison & enjoy your brownie points...go ahead and buy you a gift too or cash in them brownie points ;) you deserve it. Hahaha

Latest posts

Top Bottom