PRODUCT REVIEW

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've tried about every deer feeder and slinger system out there. The Sun Slingers are pretty good. However, I've switched to almost exclusively using Spintech feeders mounted on 55gal barrels. Squirrels won't chew through like they do on the plastic barrels and the Spintechs keep varmints and cows from knocking corn out. I plan on adding my own solar panels, which can be had on eBay for about $10 each. Then I won't have to worry about recharging or replacing batteries.

Ghost blinds do work like a champ.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Funny story about ghost blind good info to have if you ever buy one seen a bunch of videos and pics of ghost blind in use. I thought it to be a great idea. so I order me one couldn't wait for it to get in. it arrived I was excited about using it. unwrap it set it up and it wasn't nothing like they said it was bad bad the reflective mirror on it would not reflect hardly at all. so I put it in the shop and it set there 2 years until I decided to sell some stuff I got it out to take pics of it and notice something had ran down the whole face of the mirror side and mess it up so I thought got to looking at it. It had a protective shield on of plastic on it. I peeled it off and low and behold there was a mirror as they advertised man di d I feel dumb.

Now that's funny....did you finally get to try it after you got the cover peeled off?

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Now that's funny....did you finally get to try it after you got the cover peeled off?

only in the yard but it worked like it is supposed to. The reason I got it to start with a lot times hunting a wheat field the best place to sit is out in the wheat field because of wind direction. anything you sat out there is going to stick out like a sore thumb and takes deer to long to get use to it. I figure a ghost blind would work great for this and I still do.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will start anybody here ever use BBD deer feed trying to find something deer like as good as acorns. Also what about record rack berry flavored pellets they are advertised that deer like them as much or more then acorns.
I use rice bran mixed with corn. I also use a rice bran mix for deer feed.
I have found that the most important part is the presentation of deer feed. A lot of people pour it in piles, I do not. I pour it on the ground and then kick it all over the place. Deer like to move around and pick it out from under pine needles and leafs. I have actually seen deer get scared of a pile of feed, where the same deer will stay for hours licking rice bran off the ground.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife feeds up to 14 deer in our yard every year. Most of you have seen the pics.
She used to pour it out in thin rows, but it seemed the dominate does would hog the rows keeping the fawns off. Survival of the fittest you know.
Now she puts it out in small piles around the yard, and there is less fighting.
Using that Intel, I used to put my feeders on low speed to dump corn right under the feeder.
Now it's high speed and sling it. They find it just fine.
I have a ghost blind as well. Using it in a wheat field makes perfect sense. Might have to try that. Think I'd like to order the extensions first.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't use feeders I just put food on ground and this is what I have learn through the years. that doe family groups don't like being close to one another. after I started spreading feed out in a big area 10 bags on a acre I started seeing a lot more deer. A lot more does would show up and because of that a lot more bucks.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A lot will call it a gimmick but I had great luck with them last year. I bought several packs of the Tinks scent sticks. The ones that you burn like incense. It smoldering and puts off a deer piss smell or whatever. Did it bring more deer to my ground blind. I think so but I truly feel it kept me from spooking deer with my human scent. Seems like it saturated the surrounding air enough to keep the deer calm enough for many of them come with in mere yards of me checking me out.

We are at deer camp for 4-5 days and only get one shower. We can get ripe so I believe the scent sticks help a lot.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lot will call it a gimmick but I had great luck with them last year. I bought several packs of the Tinks scent sticks. The ones that you burn like incense. It smoldering and puts off a deer piss smell or whatever. Did it bring more deer to my ground blind. I think so but I truly feel it kept me from spooking deer with my human scent. Seems like it saturated the surrounding air enough to keep the deer calm enough for many of them come with in mere yards of me checking me out.

We are at deer camp for 4-5 days and only get one shower. We can get ripe so I believe the scent sticks help a lot.
You need a solar shower if your getting ripe. Cheap.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't use feeders I just put food on ground and this is what I have learn through the years. that doe family groups don't like being close to one another. after I started spreading feed out in a big area 10 bags on a acre I started seeing a lot more deer. A lot more does would show up and because of that a lot more bucks.

My preference is not to use feeders, and when my Dad was alive, he kept corn piles topped off for me between trips. Now, the only way I can assure a constant corn delivery system is to use feeders.

I'm planning to eliminate some feeder usage next year by relying heavily food plots, and since this is a product review thread, I give a two thumbs up to the Land Pride All Purpose Seeder (APS1572). I bought mine used but like new off Craigslist for less than half price of a new one, and after planting over 30 acres of ryegrass winter pasture for my cows, it was money well spent.
img.photobucket.com_albums_v712_retrieverman_thumbsup2.gif

http://www.landpride.com/products/139/aps15-series-all-purpose-seeders

*for the record, over 30 acres in 6 foot swaths takes a while.....

Last edited:

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife feeds up to 14 deer in our yard every year. Most of you have seen the pics.
She used to pour it out in thin rows, but it seemed the dominate does would hog the rows keeping the fawns off. Survival of the fittest you know.
Now she puts it out in small piles around the yard, and there is less fighting.
Using that Intel, I used to put my feeders on low speed to dump corn right under the feeder.
Now it's high speed and sling it. They find it just fine.
I have a ghost blind as well. Using it in a wheat field makes perfect sense. Might have to try that. Think I'd like to order the extensions first.

I have the extensions with mine. The good is you're able to hide a little better, the bad is it's hard to see everything that's going on in front of you though just the gaps...I'm also worried about having to take a shot through the gap with my bow. I haven't been fortunate to get the opportunity yet...maybe tomorrow morning.

Latest posts

Top Bottom