1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Progressive loading for 5.56

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by Snake, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Snake

Snake Sharpshooter

I have a crap load of mostly surplus 5.56 brass. I bought everything to convert my RL 550 Dillon from 9mms to .223/5.56. My question is since I have to lube these cases to size/deprime is there a trick? Seems like slow going if I have to stop and cut the crimp out every round. How do you guys do it? Also do you just leave the lube on until after all loaded? This is quite different from single stage and progressive pistol with carbide dies.

2. tyromeo55

tyromeo55 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I have a 650 and run them thru the machine twice. Once to prep the brass and another time to actually load them.

A great trick to lube them quickly is home made spray lube made from Lanolin

3. Gunbuffer

Gunbuffer Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    yep
    1st run thru: lube size trim and deprime, swage/chamfer crimps
    clean off lube
    2nd run: prime powder seat crimp

I have 3-4 bottles of dillon lube left over if you need, make you a good deal

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    D. Hargrove likes this.
  4. NightShade

NightShade Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Just to chime in on the lube I ran a batch after hitting it with some vegetable oil spray from a can. Worked perfectly, didn't have to lube each case one at a time, and was able to just run them as fast as I could. I did tumble them first to get any major crud off and then tumbled again to get them good and clean for loading.

5. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I use the hornady spray in an aerosol can. Size, deburr, Polish, then run through a single stage to deprime, going into a shell block that holds a hundred, spray, and run through the Hornady LNL. Never have had a stuck case and I've gone through thousands.

Cowcatcher likes this.
  6. lasher

lasher Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    i decap first, then wet tumble. spray lightly with dillon case lube, size them, trim to length. chamfer, deburr, clean primer pockets (i buy LC brass that's already swaged), then wet tumble again to get the lube off, hand prime, the into the press for powder drop, bullet seat, and lee factory crimp. that's for brass i don't buy, the brass i buy comes deprimed, swaged, wet tumbled. those i spray with the lube, size/trim/chamfer/deburr, tumble wet, hand prime then into the press. extra steps but that's how i do it

7. Shriner

Shriner Sharpshooter

The 223/556 GI range brass I pick up -deprime with an LEE universal deprime die, then use a Lyman prep station to chamber/ream, swage primer pocket, if I get a large lot of GI bras use a Dillon swager to knock it out

Snake likes this.
  8. Glocker

Glocker Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I do all my brass prep before loading on my rock chucker, ie; size using imperial wax, tumble, crimp out, then fire up the dillon.
    Less worry about lubing, crimps, etc.