Prop pitch change & 3-blade to 4-blade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Talk to the Prop Shop on 10th in OKC. Best place to buy or repair props around, great prices, and very knowledgeable. The answer you seek is probably there.

Also do great straightening and tuning.

I'd rather not talk about how I know.

edit - The guys I used were on the south side just West of 35. Didn't know there was one up on 10th. Is it out by all the boat dealers?

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was looking at getting a 4 blade for my inboard V6, IIRC, the opinion was to go up or down one pitch angle? I don’t remember which way was suggested
Edit- I ‘think’ I borrowed my neighbors 4 blade 21 pitch in place of my 3 blade 18 pitch. Lost the holeshot but my middle and top end was awesome. It pushed over the redline though and I had to be careful.

Typically they say go down 1-2 pitch if moving 3-blade to 4-blade...On my larger boat, I went down 3 and it was a little too much but as long as I don't over-rev it, it pulls very nice and gets on plane with a full load which is most important for that boat.

I think I need to experiment with motor height before a change props...

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

edit - The guys I used were on the south side just West of 35. Didn't know there was one up on 10th. Is it out by all the boat dealers?

I was wrong location wise. If it was around 44th, that was the prop shop you used. Thankfully been a long time since I've had to use them!. I typically kept a spare prop just in case. New boat has an outboard, I prob need to keep a spare prop for it. Still outfitting it 2 years later.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What year 175? what is the stock pitch on the prop that came with it? What is your top speed now with 1 in the boat?

It's a 2016 Tracker 175, I bought it used and it had a 13x17" prop, I'm guessing it was the original. It was dinged up and had a slight bend in it so I replaced it with
https://www.boatpropellerwarehouse....-x7-13-x-17-mercury-rh-propeller-48-8m0055549

Now I get about 42-43mph with me and 1 other person and half a tank of gas. I'm happy with that, I don't think I'll chase the speed monster any further.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was wrong location wise. If it was around 44th, that was the prop shop you used. Thankfully been a long time since I've had to use them!. I typically kept a spare prop just in case. New boat has an outboard, I prob need to keep a spare prop for it. Still outfitting it 2 years later.

There is a 19 pitch MerCruiser stock prop back in the engine compartment, and a prop wrench.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's a 2016 Tracker 175, I bought it used and it had a 13x17" prop, I'm guessing it was the original. It was dinged up and had a slight bend in it so I replaced it with
https://www.boatpropellerwarehouse....-x7-13-x-17-mercury-rh-propeller-48-8m0055549

Now I get about 42-43mph with me and 1 other person and half a tank of gas. I'm happy with that, I don't think I'll chase the speed monster any further.
Okay thx...I almost bought one of those boats new in the tourney setup but I just could not justify the price vs the MPH...there were other things, but I just wish you didn't have to get such a large aluminum boat to go faster...Even the 190 w/ 115hp still runs in the 40's...You gotta go 195 to get 60mph...For me, fiberglass is out of the question because I'd be too scared to ruin it...I know a smaller glass boat can run higher HP motors though...I say a guy who souped up the 175 and got 49mph tops on GPS...that was pretty cool for that boat. I used to own a PWC that could run close to 70mph w/ me on it and faster with a lighter person so it spoiled me LOL.

Did your SS prop have a safety hub? I would LOVE to go SS if I could hit a stump and not ruing my drive shaft?

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did your SS prop have a safety hub? I would LOVE to go SS if I could hit a stump and not ruing my drive shaft?

It comes with the Flo Torq II hub and says "The system is designed to resist slippage, but will flex during engine shifting. It also cushions the drivetrain in the event of an impact."
So I'm guessing (hoping) it would shear in some way to protect the gear box.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I have a 3 blade that went through a gravel bar on lake Tanneycomo Mo. it will be going to the prop shop. Very reputable business that will tell the truth like it or not.
I wanted to swap to a stainless on this particular engine which would have made the shop more money, but the owner cautioned against it knowing I run shallow waters.
You have to sacrifice something when running up on a gravel bar.
One being the prop, the other being the lower unit.
I stayed with aluminum.

Latest posts

Top Bottom