Property Lighting - Two Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First question: I now live out in the sticks N/W of Bristow. Our shop light has never worked above the roll up door. Electrician doing work on our remodel tested the wiring and the light has power to it. He said it is probably a bulb or photocell issue and that home depot has replacements. He didn't get up on the ladder and check the light as he was doing work on our main house. This looks to be the same type of light the power/electric companies put up on their power poles you see all over rural properties. Problems I didn't ask the guy what brand of light or any details. Do any of you know typically what the name or type of lights these are? Everything i find on the interwebz is the new LED version. Also, would it make better sense to just replace with a new LED model?

Second questions: Those with rural properties, do any of you have larger flood/spot lights mounted on your roofs or eaves to shine out on to larger pastures or areas of land. Thinking of getting several large lights to light up a couple area that are 3-4 acres each. If you have such lighting, what are you using. Thanks for the replies to one or both questions.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m afraid you’re going to have to get on a ladder and see just what you have, otherwise it’s nothing but a guess (IMO) and you’ll probably be making two trips to the hardware store. Could be High Pressure Sodium (yellowish light), Mercury Vapor (bluish/purple) or Metal Halide (white). Then there’s the wattage of the bulb which could be anywhere between 35-2000 watts. And those are just the most common possibilities for an older light fixture. Then there’s the voltage for the light sensor. Did the electrician happen to mention what that was?

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It sounds like you might be describing a mercury vapor light or something similar. You can get replacement light bulbs for around $10 to $25 and the photocells are usually around $10 if you just want to get it working again. Something like this?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Southwire-70W-HP-Sodium-Barn-Security-Farm-Light/5000324525
You could also replace it with an LED which would probably be brighter, but more expensive.

Everything Firpo says above is correct, in more detail.

Sorry, I can't help with lighting up 3-4 acres.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First question: I now live out in the sticks N/W of Bristow. Our shop light has never worked above the roll up door. Electrician doing work on our remodel tested the wiring and the light has power to it. He said it is probably a bulb or photocell issue and that home depot has replacements. He didn't get up on the ladder and check the light as he was doing work on our main house. This looks to be the same type of light the power/electric companies put up on their power poles you see all over rural properties. Problems I didn't ask the guy what brand of light or any details. Do any of you know typically what the name or type of lights these are? Everything i find on the interwebz is the new LED version. Also, would it make better sense to just replace with a new LED model?

Second questions: Those with rural properties, do any of you have larger flood/spot lights mounted on your roofs or eaves to shine out on to larger pastures or areas of land. Thinking of getting several large lights to light up a couple area that are 3-4 acres each. If you have such lighting, what are you using. Thanks for the replies to one or both questions.
Just got outdoor floods at work replaced w LED super super bright 1/10 the juice . also replacing our whse lights w LED they are 480 v led come in all voltage. and suprisingly not expensive!

Settled_Nomad

"Be Curious, Not Judgmental." -- Ted Lasso
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agree with Golddiger14s. Get the new LED unit and be done with it. I helped a friend of mine replace their unit with an LED version a few years back. I think they got it from Sam's club, but I haven't seen any in a while. If memory serves me right, it was made by Honeywell. They said it was the same brightness as the old light that went out. As far as spotlights, I haven't had the chance to shop for any, but I would do LED too.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will also say go back with the LED but if you get the fixture dont expect as much light out the sides as your use to, or you can rewire the fixture and bypass the ballast and go with what they call a corncob bulb that will just screw in to the original socket.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m afraid you’re going to have to get on a ladder and see just what you have, otherwise it’s nothing but a guess (IMO) and you’ll probably be making two trips to the hardware store. Could be High Pressure Sodium (yellowish light), Mercury Vapor (bluish/purple) or Metal Halide (white). Then there’s the wattage of the bulb which could be anywhere between 35-2000 watts. And those are just the most common possibilities for an older light fixture. Then there’s the voltage for the light sensor. Did the electrician happen to mention what that was?
Thanks for all the replies so far. Firpo, seems to be a lot more to it than just an older outdoor shop light. The electrican didn't specify voltage but it was on its own circuit so I'm guessing 120v on a 15 or 20 amp breaker. Seems like I should just upgrade to LED and hope and pray I stay on the ladder.

Latest posts

Top Bottom