Property Lighting - Two Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
almost all of those old mercury vapor lights have been replaced with a newer better Led type. talk to your rural electric coop or power supplier and see if they will replace it for you? there used to be a kit where all you needed was the head itself.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good luck finding something to light three or four acres without keeping the neighborhood up all night. You live in the sticks now. Keep it dark. I promise the neighbors don't want you lighting it up.
Amen to that. We live in a little subdivision by Lawtonka on 1.5 acre parcels. Some idiot two houses down behind me has a stinking flood light that ruins my night scenery. I can literally read by his fricken light.Very inconsiderate.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My in-laws moved out to the outskirts of town 40+ years ago. They mentioned recently that it took awhile to get used to things being dark out after the sun goes down, now they are totally adapted to it. A new neighbor moved into the house nearby and the in-laws are annoyed that the new neighbor leaves his big outdoor light on all night long.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LED replacement, all the way.

and leave the surrounding dark.

Had a neighbor put a super bright LED on a motion sensor over his garage door.
His wife put out food for stray cats.
Darn cats had the light coming on all night long.
My rooster would crow everytime it came on.
He complained about rooster crowing.
Told him to turn his sun off.

Last edited:

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Growing up in the country, I prefer the dark. We do have IR cameras around the house though. If there is a bump in the night, I review the IR first, then switch on the outdoor lights if looking from the house. If going out to look, lights go back off and the flashlight comes out.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Growing up in the country, I prefer the dark. We do have IR cameras around the house though. If there is a bump in the night, I review the IR first, then switch on the outdoor lights if looking from the house. If going out to look, lights go back off and the flashlight comes out.

This^^^^^.

When we lived up in the Panhandle on a farm, our outdoor light was always to be on a switch in the house. The farm was only about one mile from the highway, and we didn't want a constantly burning light to indicate to people traveling that highway to know the farm was there. We didn't want unexpected visitors at night.

I knew of a guy whose house was right on Highway 3 up in the Panhandle. He always kept a five gallon can of gas sitting by his mailbox. When I asked about it, he said that he preferred they take the five gallons and not siphon more from his own vehicles.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
First question: I now live out in the sticks N/W of Bristow. Our shop light has never worked above the roll up door. Electrician doing work on our remodel tested the wiring and the light has power to it. He said it is probably a bulb or photocell issue and that home depot has replacements. He didn't get up on the ladder and check the light as he was doing work on our main house. This looks to be the same type of light the power/electric companies put up on their power poles you see all over rural properties. Problems I didn't ask the guy what brand of light or any details. Do any of you know typically what the name or type of lights these are? Everything i find on the interwebz is the new LED version. Also, would it make better sense to just replace with a new LED model?

Second questions: Those with rural properties, do any of you have larger flood/spot lights mounted on your roofs or eaves to shine out on to larger pastures or areas of land. Thinking of getting several large lights to light up a couple area that are 3-4 acres each. If you have such lighting, what are you using. Thanks for the replies to one or both questions.
If Indian Electric Coop provides your power, they have lighting they provide, and maintain. for a small monthly fee. we have been on Indian Electric coop, for 44 years, and they are a really good provider. they recently came out and updated our security light to LED lighting, witch is much better. They seem to do a better job keeping the trees cut back, and maintaining equipment, and during the ice storm years ago, we were the only family member that didn't lose our power for a week, or more, everyone else was supplied by OG&E! WE had a lot of company during this time!

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK, just be clear, my intent on the lighting to light up my pastures/fields is not to leave them on all night long. More of a security thought of mine that would be controlled from the interior of the home. From post here and what bit of info I've found on the internet the costs seem prohibitive and my wife most likely wouldn't want said systems mounted on the house anyways. Looks like I need to research some high cp handheld flashlights. My closest neighbor is about 400 yards and the next is 5-600 yards and minimal direct line of sight for each.

Intersting about the bulb replacements for the current light. I need to get an extension ladder and get info off the light or just take it down and probably replace it with a new LED version. I appreciate all the replies, so thank you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom