Property Lighting - Two Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like those old security light fixtures, but not the expensive bulbs or the high wattage to run them.

What I did was to rewire to bypass the transformer in them and buy a socket adapter to adapt the large mogul thread to the more common e26 thread.

Then I bought common 100 watt equivalent 5000k (daylight) LED bulbs to use!

Works great for me!

Not as bright as a 250 watt metal halide, but a whole lot cheaper.

Think my 100 watt equivalent led bulbs use 14 watts each.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK, just be clear, my intent on the lighting to light up my pastures/fields is not to leave them on all night long. More of a security thought of mine that would be controlled from the interior of the home. From post here and what bit of info I've found on the internet the costs seem prohibitive and my wife most likely wouldn't want said systems mounted on the house anyways. Looks like I need to research some high cp handheld flashlights. My closest neighbor is about 400 yards and the next is 5-600 yards and minimal direct line of sight for each.

Intersting about the bulb replacements for the current light. I need to get an extension ladder and get info off the light or just take it down and probably replace it with a new LED version. I appreciate all the replies, so thank you.
If you dont have cattle, chickens, etc in pens, I wouldnt worry as much about lighting up the fields. I typically shoot for around 100' of well lit space around the house, all on switches. If you have a chicken hutch, barn, or other place you keep livestock penned up, the street light style poles offered by the electric company are a solid option.

If we start running into a lot of issues with predators, a thermal rifle scope and/or IR spotting scope would be more cost effective than trying to light up several acres, in my opinion.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you dont have cattle, chickens, etc in pens, I wouldnt worry as much about lighting up the fields. I typically shoot for around 100' of well lit space around the house, all on switches. If you have a chicken hutch, barn, or other place you keep livestock penned up, the street light style poles offered by the electric company are a solid option.

If we start running into a lot of issues with predators, a thermal rifle scope and/or IR spotting scope would be more cost effective than trying to light up several acres, in my opinion.
What about zombies that don't have a heat signature???:bolt:

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you live way out in the sticks and would like to keep a close eye on your place like we do, I would recommend replacing it with something like a spotlight with camera. We use Ring LED Spotlight cameras around the house and couldn't be happier.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you live way out in the sticks and would like to keep a close eye on your place like we do, I would recommend replacing it with something like a spotlight with camera. We use Ring LED Spotlight cameras around the house and couldn't be happier.
Once our home is remodeled we will be putting in cameras. We had Nest setup at our last home and really liked them but since Google bought them I don't like the direction their cameras have gone. May have to look harder at Ring again or what other good reliable options are out there.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
May have to look harder at Ring again or what other good reliable options are out there.
I like the Ring cameras I have, but I think the older ones were better. The old Floodlight Cameras had metal bases and light housings, but the new ones I just installed have plastic bases and light housings. The Wired Floodlight Pro has better light output than the old Floodlight Cam, though. The video quality looks about the same, though.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the Ring cameras I have, but I think the older ones were better. The old Floodlight Cameras had metal bases and light housings, but the new ones I just installed have plastic bases and light housings. The Wired Floodlight Pro has better light output than the old Floodlight Cam, though. The video quality looks about the same, though.

We use the floodlight pros, along with wired pro doorbell for the front door. We sure feel a lot more secure with them up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom