Proposed App For Private Sales

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How would they enforce it?

I don't think we have the full story about the App and how it works. I know by watching the comments on OSA, some of our members have had questions about the buyer of the guns they are selling. Some decided to not go through with the transaction because they were suspicious of the behavior of the buyer.
Those are the actions of an honest and law abiding person selling a firearm.
IF, and I repeat IF the access to the NICS was not tied back to the gun seller and was a totally non identifying sort of search to the seller I might go along with it to weed out illegal buyers trying to buy from honest gun owners. They will never stop the black market sales of illegal and stolen weapons.
BUT, it's the government and its the internet. Nothing is totally private and the .gov will find a way to acquire a database of those using it without us knowing about it.
The same way amazon, google and facebook are acquiring data via posts and use of the home voice controllers like alexa to monitor our everyday lives and try to influence us in the marketplace.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis, I agree completely with you. This would serve no purpose.

You brought up an interesting point. Most of us do make a decision when we sell a firearm, as to the appropriateness of that sale. I'm surprised that someone hasn't accused us if violating a potential buyers rights by deciding they were unworthy of purchasing a firearm.

That should stir the pot a bit...

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Easy. Just make it the law. That'll stop all that illegal stuff alrighty. Kinda like no-gun signs stop bad guys...right?

giphy.gif

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IF, and I repeat IF the access to the NICS was not tied back to the gun seller and was a totally non identifying sort of search to the seller I might go along with it to weed out illegal buyers trying to buy from honest gun owners.
FWIW, there is a mechanism currently in place with NICS for private sales. A gun buyer and a gun seller can go into any FFL's premises and request a private sale background check. The buyer fills out a 4473 as usual, and the FFL performs the check. If the buyer gets a "proceed", the gun is transferred and either the buyer or seller pays the transfer fee to the FFL. If the buyer is "denied", naturally the transfer cannot legally take place. It is not a perfect system, but it is there should a seller have concerns about who is attempting to buy his/her weapon.
Edited to add: I did mean to write "buyer" instead of seller....

Last edited:

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is not a perfect system, but it is there should a seller have concerns about who is attempting to buy his/her weapon.
How many people have ever done this? If Shady Ray wants to buy one of my bang bangs not lost in my boating accident and my gut says don't do it. I ain't going to spend an extra Jackson at my local FFL for that warm fuzzy. I am gonna walk from the deal. You know I will tell him my wife said I can't sell it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW, there is a mechanism currently in place with NICS for private sales. A gun buyer and a gun seller can go into any FFL's premises and request a private sale background check. The buyer fills out a 4473 as usual, and the FFL performs the check. If the buyer gets a "proceed", the gun is transferred and either the buyer or seller pays the transfer fee to the FFL. If the seller is "denied", naturally the transfer cannot legally take place. It is not a perfect system, but it is there should a seller have concerns about who is attempting to buy his/her weapon.
Thanks for the input. Appreciate the additional information that some may want to use in the future.
I have a gut feeling that mandatory private sale background checks will become part of any gun sales in the future, but only for those that have registered firearms.
Since most of us have lost ours in various boating accidents, I don't see how .gov is going to track that especially if its a cash deal of a firearms that has changed hands many times? There would have to be some sort of chain of custody or marked bills to confirm a single transaction even if mandatory 4473's were the new law in non-FFL sales.
In 2018, Small Arms Survey reported that there are over one billion small arms distributed globally, of which 857 million (about 85 percent) are in civilian hands. The Small Arms Survey stated that U.S. civilians alone account for 393 million (about 46 percent) of the worldwide total of civilian held firearms.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_ownership
I just don't see how this proposed mandatory 4473 will accomplish anything to stop mass shootings?

Of course, criminals and malcontents would ignore background checks like they do now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom