Proposed changes to the regs...........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Allow me to ease your pain and suffering just a bit....the license requirement for hunting hogs with a shotgun w/slug, or any rifle or handgun larger than 22 lr is a "filled or unfilled" tag for the appropriate firearms season. However, now that buckshot can be used for hogs on private land you could use that and you would be exempt from the license requirement.

Filled tag? I honestly did not realize this. I thought you had to have an "unpunched" tag to be out with centerfire rifle during those times. That's good to know. Thanks.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tags and license fees along with private donations and the Federal Pittman-Robertson fees we get from the sales of sporting equipment is the only funding the ODW gets to operate on to buy land for WMA's, lease OLAP lands for more access to private land hunting/fishing, clean up the public gun ranges, build boat ramps on state lakes, and the list goes on. The ODW gets ZERO money from the state legislature to fund their payroll or other activities that benefit hunting and fishing in Ok.

Happy to help......:scratch:

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Am I reading Jared right when he said buckshot not centerfire?

The law in question states that if you are hunting any "wildlife" during one of the big game firearms/primitive seasons, w/ a shotgun and slug, or any rifle or handgun larger than 22 lr, you must possess a VALID license for the appropriate big game season.

For hunting Feral hogs on private land with those same weapons listed above, during the big game firearms/primitive seasons, a person must possess either a filled or unfilled license for the appropriate big game season.

Hunting hogs on private land with Shotguns w/pellets including buckshot would not require a license.

Hope this helps.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
See I live and hunt on my own land and to hunt coyotes or pigs during rifle season I have to have a deer tag. So to sit in my back yard and hit my coyote call I have to buy a deer tag that cost over $20. That is ridiculous in my opinion. I get why they have that law on the books but thats no different than ticketing someone for planning on doing something wrong even though they didnt do anything wrong yet.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
See I live and hunt on my own land and to hunt coyotes or pigs during rifle season I have to have a deer tag. So to sit in my back yard and hit my coyote call I have to buy a deer tag that cost over $20. That is ridiculous in my opinion. I get why they have that law on the books but thats no different than ticketing someone for planning on doing something wrong even though they didnt do anything wrong yet.

Not exactly....

From the hog hunting FAQ:

https://www.wildlifedepartment.com/content/feral-hog-frequently-asked-questions

What is free hog control permit and how do I get one?

Landowners may obtain a free hog control permit from the local game warden allowing them to harvest hogs during antelope, bear, deer and elk firearm seasons without purchasing the corresponding big-game license (night shooting exemptions are also available, see below). Landowners must always call the Game Warden to obtain the permit.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes this is true, but thats just hoops I have to jump through when I decide I just want to go shoot a coyote. Or see one while Im out feeding my dogs. Ive done the night shooting permit and its not a big deal but you have to get a game warden to come out and fill out the paperwork. And my county doesnt even have one so I have to get one from a neighboring county to come out. Which can take a while.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes this is true, but thats just hoops I have to jump through when I decide I just want to go shoot a coyote. Or see one while Im out feeding my dogs. Ive done the night shooting permit and its not a big deal but you have to get a game warden to come out and fill out the paperwork. And my county doesnt even have one so I have to get one from a neighboring county to come out. Which can take a while.
Nope, you get the night permit for hogs online in about 3 minutes. Maybe 8 minutes if your not computer savvy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom