Proposed hunting and fishing reg changes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What do you all think about the proposed changes?

Dec. 13, 2016
Comment Period Open for Rule Change Proposals
Each year, the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation proposes changes in Title 800, the administrative rules that govern hunting, fishing and Wildlife Department operations. The public comment period is now open for this year's proposed rule changes.
Many proposed changes for 2017 are simple housekeeping matters, while some are more substantial. Highlights of this year's rule changes include:
  • Close snagging from 10:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. in the areas east of I-35 and north of I-40 except the Miami City Park from the south boat ramp to the 125 Highway bridge which shall remain open.
  • Allow deer hunters the use of a leashed tracking dog to help locate downed deer after obtaining game warden permission and having no means of take on person while tracking.
  • Open deer archery season same as statewide season dates on Love Valley and Hickory Creek WMAs.
  • Add Oklahoma Land Access Program (OLAP) regulations for walk-in fishing area and stream access. OLAP is a new program aimed at leasing lands for public access. New rules specific to OLAP are necessary to administer the program and enforce regulations.
To read all of the proposed rule changes, visit the Department's website.

Anyone wishing to make comments on any of the proposed rule changes may do so in one of three ways:
  • Fill out the online public comment form at wildlifedepartment.com. Online public comment period will close at 4:30 p.m. Jan. 12, 2017.
  • Write your comments in a letter and mail to Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation, Re: Public Comment, P.O. Box 53465, Oklahoma City, OK 73152. Letters must be received by 4:30 p.m. Jan. 12, 2017.
  • Voice comments in person during a public hearing on the 2017 proposed rule changes at either the Wildlife Department interim headquarters, 2145 NE 36 St. in Oklahoma City, beginning at 7 p.m. Jan. 5, 2017, or Northeast Technology Center Auditorium, 19901 US-69, Afton, OK 74331 on Jan. 10, 2017 at 7 p.m.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
  • Allow deer hunters the use of a leashed tracking dog to help locate downed deer after obtaining game warden permission and having no means of take on person while tracking.
This one caught my eye first with the part about having no means of take on person while tracking.
The only exception should be the tracker is allowed to conceal carry persuant to the regulations in the SDA.
You go tromping through the woods on public grounds with a dog on a leash to look for your 45 lb fawn you just took may cause some confrontations.
That being said, the 2nd ammendment should apply.
Hunters are allowed concealed carry while bow hunting. I don't see any difference.

• Close snagging from 10:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. in the areas east of I-35 and north of I-40 except the Miami City Park from the south boat ramp to the 125 Highway bridge which shall remain open.
I see this as an effort to slow down poaching of the spoonbill for caviar, but poachers gonna poach. Undecided on this one.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is OLAP giving the public access to water on privately owned lands? Did I interpret that wrong?

No.
What OLAP will do is give access to landlocked public waters if the landowners sign into the program.
Say for instance the Illinois or the Blue River. Not many public access areas. OLAP will pay the adjoining landowners a stipend to allow the public to cross their private ground to get to the stream.

Its a voluntary program.

Dieselwrench

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
No.
What OLAP will do is give access to landlocked public waters if the landowners sign into the program.
Say for instance the Illinois or the Blue River. Not many public access areas. OLAP will pay the adjoining landowners a stipend to allow the public to cross their private ground to get to the stream.

Its a voluntary program.
I see that going bad quick! Too many people don't respect fences already. Not to mention folks throwing they're trash all over place already. I can already see some jackass driving his jacked up tardmoble across some guys field rutting the crap out of the place or cutting fences letting cattle out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I see that going bad quick! Too many people don't respect fences already. Not to mention folks throwing they're trash all over place already. I can already see some jackass driving his jacked up tardmoble across some guys field rutting the crap out of the place or cutting fences letting cattle out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
I"m not sure how its going to be handled.
I spent an hour on the phone with the administrator of that program earlier this year and expressed my concerns as a land owner.
I have hunted the similar program in Kansas called the WIHA. I didn't see a lot of trash about or anything like that.
The guy with the ODW told me they wanted to start the program last fall, but there were too many houskeeping issues still to be resolved for that to happen.
They are really concerned about the same issues you expressed, and want to get it right the first time, not down the road when it gets a bad reputation.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So if you're using a tracking dog to locate a wounded deer and you jump it when you get close, what are you supposed to do, run it down and tackle it? I guess I don't get the point of that one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom