Proposed hunting and fishing reg changes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some people just can't follow a trail .
I have a friend that calls me when he can't find a deer he shot.
I think I finally taught him to wait for a kill shot in the vitals.

Some states already allow dogs.. the brush is so thick that you can't see and or get into all the places.
I tracked a deer from 5pm to past 11 pm crawling through holes in briars you can't put a basketball through.. but the blood trail went right through it.
I am always amazed what a deer can go through and leave the hole small like it never went through it.

If you use the dog correctly and do not use them to chase deer to you I see no harm.

The snagging I see no issue with changing the law.
I made caviar from 2 of the ones I got.
Both times it tasted like salty fish eggs.
What is the deal with people paying good money for it.

Flaunting your prestige. forget that and Give me a big steak and some onions.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So if you're using a tracking dog to locate a wounded deer and you jump it when you get close, what are you supposed to do, run it down and tackle it? I guess I don't get the point of that one.
Legal Stuff if that wasn't the law you would have retards taking their gun and dog go hunting if anything was said they say oh we are looking for a wounded deer and you couldn't prove any different then that in a court of law.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So if you're using a tracking dog to locate a wounded deer and you jump it when you get close, what are you supposed to do, run it down and tackle it? I guess I don't get the point of that one.

My understanding is that it will read "downed deer" NOT "wounded deer". A tracking dog would be beneficial in recovering downed deer. However it is not legal to take/harvest deer by aid of a dog. So if the deer is not down and is wounded the law does not allow a person to "put it down" when you were aided by a dog. If this is the situation then the sportsman has failed by not making an effective shot or waiting an appropriate length of time before tracking or both.

huntemup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Legal Stuff if that wasn't the law you would have retards taking their gun and dog go hunting if anything was said they say oh we are looking for a wounded deer and you couldn't prove any different then that in a court of law.

And yet it works in so many other states.

It's real simple, the dog on a leash isn't very likely to be running any deer to you. You should be allowed the means to finish off a wounded animal if that's where the trail leads.

Hell, most people aren't even using hounds when tracking deer. More times than not,in my experience, it's been housedogs doing blood tracking-often times it's the family dachshund at the other end of the lead.

And the Kansas wiha is a great program. Not sure why so many think it can't be equally successful -for all parties, here in Oklahoma.

I understand the concerns of private land hunters/owners. But I also understand the very real need for more publicly accessible hunting land around the state.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And yet it works in so many other states.

It's real simple, the dog on a leash isn't very likely to be running any deer to you. You should be allowed the means to finish off a wounded animal if that's where the trail leads.

Hell, most people aren't even using hounds when tracking deer. More times than not,in my experience, it's been housedogs doing blood tracking-often times it's the family dachshund at the other end of the lead.

And the Kansas wiha is a great program. Not sure why so many think it can't be equally successful -for all parties, here in Oklahoma.

I understand the concerns of private land hunters/owners. But I also understand the very real need for more publicly accessible hunting land around the state.
According to the ODW rep that I talked to, the focus right now is going to be about leasing land around the major metro areas.
Agree with Jared that it will be downed deer, but if the dog comes on a wounded, you can't release the dog to hot trail it. Your done at that point or back out and come back later to look for the downed animal.
huntemup, your correct on the breed of dog.
I did a hog hunt once where a jack Russel terrier was used to track wounded pigs.
Went to a Hunting and Fishing Show in Kansas city years ago. They had a poodle and a Boston Bull dog trained to retrieve ducks in a pond as good as any retriever.

Latest posts

Top Bottom