Proposed Rule Change Comment Period Open

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So what would be the procedure if I shot a doe in KS and wanted to bring it home?

For taxidermy? Taxidermy was what my response was too. My answer would be the same minus sawing off antlers and cleaning the skull plate! LOL

So bringing home meat is simple. Skin and quarter it which is super simple, but again not a skill all hunters possess which dumbfounds me that guys don't know how to skin and quarter an animal, but I have to remind myself not everyone has experienced or hunted the places I have!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
For taxidermy? Taxidermy was what my response was too. My answer would be the same minus sawing off antlers and cleaning the skull plate! LOL

So bringing home meat is simple. Skin and quarter it which is super simple, but again not a skill all hunters possess which dumbfounds me that guys don't know how to skin and quarter an animal, but I have to remind myself not everyone has experienced or hunted the places I have!

Not one time have I ever needed to skin and quarter anything but elk. If someone has only hunted whitetail, they probably haven't needed to either.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless a person is stopped for traffic violation and reported to the GW or the ODWC sets up check points, I don’t see how this is enforceable.:anyone:

That being said, I’m sure that there will be a few who out themselves by posting about it on social media...:rolleyes2

hamiltoe

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score

The problem with that is that KS requires proof of sex while transporting unless the deer has been fully processed. So, quartering and transporting may conflict with KS laws. The real issue is proper disposal of the carcass, not transporting it.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The problem with that is that KS requires proof of sex while transporting unless the deer has been fully processed. So, quartering and transporting may conflict with KS laws. The real issue is proper disposal of the carcass, not transporting it.

Not true. Simply leave the testicles, penis, or mammary glands naturally attached to one quarter. Commonly done out west when quartering animals.

Also I’m sure a fresh skull cap attached to antlers with no brain matter in it would suffice too.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was thinking about this as I was traveling around Texas and seeing all the roadkill deer carcasses alongside the roads (I think the high was four in about a quarter-mile stretch). How would these proposed rules actually prevent the spread of the disease? It's not like deer will be scavenging other deer carcasses, so are they worried that scavengers will be transmitting it from infected remains to live herds? That seems like an unlikely means of infection, but even if it is a risk, it seems that remains disposal is still the better angle to attack.

hamiltoe

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Not true. Simply leave the testicles, penis, or mammary glands naturally attached to one quarter. Commonly done out west when quartering animals.

Also I’m sure a fresh skull cap attached to antlers with no brain matter in it would suffice too.
I'm not as familiar with other states' transport rules. However, in KS an antlerless deer must be transported with the head attached as proof of sex. They just recently added the ability to do an online check in via phone and pictures which is another option for transporting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom