Pros and Cons of quick detach suppressors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AguaFriaRanger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll necro this since I was in the neighborhood

For reasons already mentioned, I think QD makes a ton of sense for cans that don't live on one gun. You're putting wear on the barrel threads and suppressor threads every time you attach/detach a DT can. It's also nice to be able to spur-of-the-moment choose to bring the can or not for a range day, or if you want to lend a rifle to a buddy you can just pop the can off in a few seconds. Perhaps the biggest thing with QD cans is that I don't have to worry about the can walking off and getting wobbly, leading to a baffle strike. If you have ever shot a DT can on a pistol or a rifle you know the pain of making sure that thing hasn't busted loose every few shots. With my QD cans I just rock and lock that sucker on and go wild. I'm strongly considering the investment into the Griffin Cam-Lok system so I can just shoot my pistols suppressed without needing to worry about the can walking. Personally, I think things like the Griffin Cam-Lok system will start to catch on more and more, and then people are going to move away from DT even for pistols.

That said, I think DT cans have their place. I think a specialized DT can could be the best solution for a precision bolt action. I think a DT suppressor can even make sense for a tactical carbine that was only ever going to be shot suppressed with a specific can, especially if it was in .300blk or something similar. If I was buying my FIRST can, I'd either do a .30 cal that was QD compatible or a .22lr can. The rationale is that a QD 30cal suppressor can service the entire centerfire arsenal of most folks, and if you fork over the cash for the devices it can do so quickly. Or the .22lr suppressor because it's the cheapest and easiest way to get "Hollywood" quiet shooting.

Last edited:

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll necro this since I was in the neighborhood

For reasons already mentioned, I think QD makes a ton of sense for cans that don't live on one gun. You're putting wear on the barrel threads and suppressor threads every time you attach/detach a DT can. It's also nice to be able to spur-of-the-moment choose to bring the can or not for a range day, or if you want to lend a rifle to a buddy you can just pop the can off in a few seconds. Perhaps the biggest thing with QD cans is that I don't have to worry about the can walking off and getting wobbly, leading to a baffle strike. If you have ever shot a DT can on a pistol or a rifle you know the pain of making sure that thing hasn't busted loose every few shots. With my QD cans I just rock and lock that sucker on and go wild. I'm strongly considering the investment into the Griffin Cam-Lok system so I can just shoot my pistols suppressed without needing to worry about the can walking. Personally, I think things like the Griffin Cam-Lok system will start to catch on more and more, and then people are going to move away from DT even for pistols.

That said, I think DT cans have their place. I think a specialized DT can could be the best solution for a precision bolt action. I think a DT suppressor can even make sense for a tactical carbine that was only ever going to be shot suppressed with a specific can, especially if it was in .300blk or something similar. If I was buying my FIRST can, I'd either do a .30 cal that was QD compatible or a .22lr can. The rationale is that a QD 30cal suppressor can service the entire centerfire arsenal of most folks, and if you fork over the cash for the devices it can do so quickly. Or the .22lr suppressor because it's the cheapest and easiest way to get "Hollywood" quiet shooting.
Griffen dual lock looks far more interesting to me as I can easily have a flash suppressor or brake when not shooting suppressed. My pistol carbines are my use case for qd. I have more of them than cans.

BallisticGuy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m shooting sub moa at 600yds with my Sandman-S/keymo mount. I have zero complaints. It’s amazing to shoot with my 6.5cm match rifle. It returns to zero every time I mount the can.

conditionzero

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do QDs ever have threads? I know the Army went with a locking suppressor for the M5 Spear, it has a locking ring and about 3 threads. It looked really easy to take off.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Do QDs ever have threads? I know the Army went with a locking suppressor for the M5 Spear, it has a locking ring and about 3 threads. It looked really easy to take off.
It looks similar to the AAC kinda lock. Fat thick threads that terminate in a ratcheting mechanism. When we first got those on Scars, the little ratcheting mechanism would loosen up and you'd get baffle strikes. A lot.
They fixed the detents so they stopped but nobody trusted that afterwards.
Surefire's have replaced everything I'm pretty sure. It has a pretty good lock mechanism.
My LaRue can is threaded and uses a chamfered collar in the base of the adapter...kinda like the reflex suppressor on a MK12. It's considered a QD; it also has a collet/ring to lock it down when it's fully seated.
Side note - I still really like the QDSS NT4 mechanism. Not a great can but the adapter and lock up was awesome.

Genesis

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im surprised at the initial amount of direct thread fans (for rifles at least). Do most of you shoot bolt guns, or..? Id never want to run an ar with a bare muzzle (or a thread protector, etc). Ive never had a suppressor come.off unless i want it off. You must be diligent in assuring everything on your rifle is properly assembled before shooting. I thought that was firearms 101? I use yhm and asr pattern qd options depending on caliber. Both have muzzle devices with proper threading available for under $100.

Latest posts

Top Bottom