Protein feed for feeders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone used bulk feed that you get from the big hoppers?
They sell 13&17% at the local feed store. I think it's about $400 a ton now.
My storage/ transport boxes hold about 1100 lbs. When I had cows that was the cheapest option but it was half that price then.
I just ordered a gravity kit for one of my feeders. Not much nutrition in just corn so I figured I'd offer something better.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 13% All Stock I feed from Tractor Supply is $475/ton, and for me, bags are easier to handle.
Yes bags are easier but I can leave the box on my farm truck and back up to the feeder. Just scoop it over to the feeder. I don't even know if deer will eat it.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dang, last I knew our local blend was $285 ton. It's a beef grower with roughage pellets, alfalfa pellets, corn chops and a good bit of grain Fines with a little touch of molasses. Believe it was 15 percent. I'll be in need of some soon so I'll know today's price.
The 13% All Stock I feed from Tractor Supply is $475/ton, and for me, bags are easier to handle.
Tsc has been getting beat up lately over the quality of their feed. ?

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So who exactly is beating them up and over what?:scratch:
I’ve fed several thousand pounds of the TSC All Stock and never had a deer or cow complain. :anyone:
Homesteaders and preppers on yt and there's been an article or 2. It's been on their chicken feed. Nothing said about other feeds. It's been discussed that the poor quality of grains is having an effect. It was also mentioned that the bulk of our amino acids are purchased from China . 🤣 sure the deer aren't going to complain but keep an eye on your cattle.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I still have a hard time believing that it effects herd health and antler growth, maybe it's just location dependent. I do believe it will keep deer there year around which is good(so will corn), but has it been proven to actually help? I'd rather save my money for something else as of now and from others in my area who have tried it have found no noticeable improvement. So many other factors at play to prove or disprove that it's the protein. I don't want to spend $ to put 5-10lbs on a already 200lb+ deer or add and inch or two of antler. If it could be proven to add 10-20" then sure.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I still have a hard time believing that it effects herd health and antler growth, maybe it's just location dependent. I do believe it will keep deer there year around which is good(so will corn), but has it been proven to actually help? I'd rather save my money for something else as of now and from others in my area who have tried it have found no noticeable improvement. So many other factors at play to prove or disprove that it's the protein. I don't want to spend $ to put 5-10lbs on an already 200lb+ deer or add and inch or two of antler. If it could be proven to add 10-20" then sure.
You’ll never convince me that a person can feed a wild free range deer herd enough to make any noticeable difference in body weight or antler growth, because I agree there are too many other factors at play to really measure it. The ONLY REASON I feed protein is to hold deer on my little place, and it does seem to work fairly well for that (at least until the rut). In my experience, it’s better than corn at holding deer.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's why I feed, I want to try to hold them on my property.
Personally I think it helps during times when forage is at it's lowest nutrition. I'd think milk production would be better when does are nursing fawns.
I have my feeders out of sight of the country road road to try and make it harder for the poachers that like to spotlight during the wee hours at night.
Everyone that drives by has seen the deer in my fields and if I can hold them away from the road a little longer than it's less time for the people that are tempted to get a quick deer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom