Protein feed for feeders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
has anyone tried a combination salt lick and cotton seed? if they are accustomed to corn or feed try mixing in some cottonseed then slowly transition.
I haven’t tried cotton seed, but after multiple attempts over the last 20 years, deer WILL NOT come to a mineral or salt lick.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Deer don't hit salt blocks directly. They will hit the leachate off the salt block. If you look at the contents of a deer food block you will see that salt is only a small percentage of the content. I am feeding corn, mineral, a little rice bran and peanut meal and some 20% protein feed twice daily to 10 deer,bucks and does. BUT IT IS CHEAPER TO GROW PROTEIN than feed it. I also have a food plot next door to the feed trough for them to graze on when they want. I just fertilized the plot yesterday when there was no wind. The soil temps are slowly rising as I am seeing a little growth. I fertilized the plot not to target the plants BUT to feed the soil microorganisms. which feed the plants. My .02

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd like to grow some plots but I sell all my grass for hay. Gets my fields cleaned up and a little money . There is no way to do both in this Rocky clay ground. Even a no till would be kicking up rocks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom