Protein feed for feeders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i suspect the results of sportsman feeding programs main results are a greater number of pregnancies as the predominate results. it would be interesting to know how far down the nutrition tree antlers fall into the mix?

jackinok09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
one note on salt licks, etc. probably you won't see a whole lot of constant traffic around one, but if you keep it out for a couple of years you start to see it dug out. another note if it's really dry where you build your lick, they won't use it as much. simply because the rain or moisture helps it release a smell that attracts them. in my opinion does use these actually more than bucks, especially when carrying a fawn and that helps that fawn get off to better start. my opinion of course. And don't ever forget you have to have the genetics to grow big bucks in your herd. I'm sure you've all seen areas where all there are is 8-point bucks. they may be smaller or larger but still almost identical in an age group 8-point bucks. that's because of genetics. if you want to change that in a wild herd you have to let that really big antlered buck from an adjoining property walk. hard for me to do that LOL

Last edited:

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's a good article explaining some of the deer nutrition needs. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/c...ting/supplemental-deer-feed-nutritional-guide

Cowadle, where do you buy corn with 9% protein? What I've found at the big box stores is around 6% and I think what I got from the Co-Op was 7%.

I've found on our place that raccoons and other small critters don't seem to like the protein pellets(13-14%) nearly as much as the corn. When corn prices went so high, it was cheaper to buy the All Stock protein. Think I'll keep an eye out for any more Atwoods or Tractor Supply new locations opening. Seems they have a good sale on their opening weekend.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's a good article explaining some of the deer nutrition needs. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/c...ting/supplemental-deer-feed-nutritional-guide

Cowadle, where do you buy corn with 9% protein? What I've found at the big box stores is around 6% and I think what I got from the Co-Op was 7%.

I've found on our place that raccoons and other small critters don't seem to like the protein pellets(13-14%) nearly as much as the corn. When corn prices went so high, it was cheaper to buy the All Stock protein. Think I'll keep an eye out for any more Atwoods or Tractor Supply new locations opening. Seems they have a good sale on their opening weekend.
probably because the deer corn isn't fit for livestock feed. usually it has high concentrations of micotoxins,vomitoxins etc. and could just be they set the level low as to avoid anyone suing them. feed corn will have a tag that gives minimum test results for the same reason. take a sample and send it to osu for analysis??

jackinok09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like to grow some plots but I sell all my grass for hay. Gets my fields cleaned up and a little money . There is no way to do both in this Rocky clay ground. Even a no till would be kicking up rocks.
Actually the very best deer feed is all natural, or what's there now. Try leaving strips about 30 ft wide when you bale. Next year move over and do another strip and bale the first. You may be surprised at what shows up.
Homesteaders and preppers on yt and there's been an article or 2. It's been on their chicken feed. Nothing said about other feeds. It's been discussed that the poor quality of grains is having an effect. It was also mentioned that the bulk of our amino acids are purchased from China . 🤣 sure the deer aren't going to complain but keep an eye on your cattle.
I saw that the reason feed is going up and the quality down is that the bulk of it comes from Ukraine

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The problem with protein pellets is getting the deer to eat them at my place. And you really can't use a spin type feeder too well.
FWIW - the All Stock from the feed store work fine in our spin type feeders. I think they're referred to as 5/32. It does leave some powder residual on the spinner. Biggest problem we've encountered is moisture clumping the All Stock together if used by itself so started mixing in corn albeit that toxin laden variety.

Latest posts

Top Bottom