Protein feed for feeders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
The problem with protein pellets is getting the deer to eat them at my place. And you really can't use a spin type feeder too well.
I feed 5/32 creep with my corn. The ratio of mix depends on the time of year. More protein to corn when they need to pack on weight and get more energetic. Basically November to February they get about 100 pounds of pellets to 50 pounds of corn. Helps them recover from all the chasing and running.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The problem with protein pellets is getting the deer to eat them at my place. And you really can't use a spin type feeder too well.
Getting deer to eat protein pellets, I have found easy, just dribble some pancake syrup on a pile of pellets. Deer are suckers for something sweet. I have done this for years when I have needed the deer to try something different.. When I add Ivermectin to their feed in August to worm the deer I just add pancake syrup and blend it. The syrup masks the bitter taste. If the deer are coming to a feeder, anyway, then they will nibble the protein pile out of curiosity because it smells so good. It shouldn't take more than 2 days to know if they will eat it.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Getting deer to eat protein pellets, I have found easy, just dribble some pancake syrup on a pile of pellets. Deer are suckers for something sweet. I have done this for years when I have needed the deer to try something different.. When I add Ivermectin to their feed in August to worm the deer I just add pancake syrup and blend it. The syrup masks the bitter taste. If the deer are coming to a feeder, anyway, then they will nibble the protein pile out of curiosity because it smells so good. It shouldn't take more than 2 days to know if they will eat it.
You might have to convert your spin feeder to a gravity feeder to feed the protein.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
feeding excessive protein to meet energy needs is wastefull and expensive. what you need it the highest fiber and highest energy source rolled into one product that will contain just enough protein to meet their requirements or barely more.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
feeding excessive protein to meet energy needs is wastefull and expensive. what you need it the highest fiber and highest energy source rolled into one product that will contain just enough protein to meet their requirements or barely more.
What is this product you speak of? I'm curious.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
probably because the deer corn isn't fit for livestock feed. usually it has high concentrations of micotoxins,vomitoxins etc. and could just be they set the level low as to avoid anyone suing them. feed corn will have a tag that gives minimum test results for the same reason. take a sample and send it to osu for analysis??
I dont know where you are buying your deer corn, but I have been feeding it to my deer for years with no ill effects and friends have been feeding it to their horses with no effect. Please show me proof that properly stored corn is not fit for livestock. I have always known that cattle have been fed out with corn. If the corn is old ,and has a high moisture content then the corn can be susceptible to vomitoxin That corn should be destroyed.
When I buy corn I am buying over 1,000 pound at a time and store it in 55 gallon steel drums. I have never had any issue.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont know where you are buying your deer corn, but I have been feeding it to my deer for years with no ill effects and friends have been feeding it to their horses with no effect. Please show me proof that properly stored corn is not fit for livestock. I have always known that cattle have been fed out with corn. If the corn is old ,and has a high moisture content then the corn can be susceptible to vomitoxin That corn should be destroyed.
When I buy corn I am buying over 1,000 pound at a time and store it in 55 gallon steel drums. I have never had any issue.
there is corn raised every year somewhere that has a high aflatoxin content. some of it gets blended with other corn to bring the content of the batch below the threshold set by the fda. has nothing to do with storage.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm having good results with 12-14 percent creep mixed with whole corn. The percentage of corn varies depending on the time of the year. And it's more cost effective than the store bought stuff with about the same ingredients.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm having good results with 12-14 percent creep mixed with whole corn. The percentage of corn varies depending on the time of the year. And it's more cost effective than the store bought stuff with about the same ingredients.
years ago when there was a feed mill in just about every town we fed cattle in big bulk feeders. the feed was ground and mixed not pelleted and had a lot of salt in it as a limiter so the coattle wouldn't over eat , but i remember the deer used to love those feeders. i guess they could sort the cottonseed hulls corn or whatever and balance themselves. could a person use those baby calf creep feeders with a product like that for deer??? the creep feeder would keep the livestock away from the feed wouldn't it?

Latest posts

Top Bottom