Pruning Fruit Trees

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
About 2.5 years ago, I ordered some fruit trees (2 plum, 2 apple, peach and nectarine) from Stark Bros. Nursery. They looked like small broom handles at the time, but have really flourished and I got some peaches and nectarines last year. I pruned some back in Feb/March, but I noticed yesterday that they're still filling in toward the center, especially the plum trees. I mean they're growing like crazy. I'd like to thin them a little more, but didn't know if doing it now would cause more harm than good. Looking on-line I've found plenty of conflicting info, so I figured I'd ask ya'll for some opinions. Thanks!

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not an expert, but I did stay at the Holiday Inn Express.

I have apricot, peach, pear, plum, cherry, apple and pecan trees. I only trim in the fall after the leaves have fallen and save the trimmings to add to the pit when smoking brisket.

I know some who trim year round, but I don't. JMHO

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you happy with your trees from Stark? I got an end of season e-mail from them and am tempted to order a couple of peach trees ...

I've been very happy so far. About three years ago, I ordered 2 apple and 2 plum trees from them...bear in mind that this was my first attempt at planting fruit trees. I planted them in my chicken pen, which is about 50'x50', and they grew really well all through a brutal summer. At the end of the summer, with no warning, all four of them kicked the bucket. I spoke with Stark Bros. and that winter they replaced all four trees. I planted those in early '12, along with a peach tree which a neighbor gave me and a nectarine I ordered from Stark. Last year I got my first peaches and nectarines. The peaches were great, but the nectarines were amazing.

When I received the trees from Stark they were all bare-root, and looked like little broom handles sticking out of the ground about 3' when I planted them. Now they're all 10-12' and growing like crazy. The peach and nectarine are loaded, and I got my first apple blossoms this spring. I don't spray at all, so I'm curious to see what kind of harvest I get this year.

Putting them in the chicken pen has worked out beautifully. The trees get plenty of fertilizer and the chickens get some shade and help control a lot of the insects.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's a couple of pics. In the first pic from left to right: plum, apple, apple, plum, nectarine. In the second the nectarine is on the left and the peach on the right.

Spoke with a lady at the county extension office, and she said judicious pruning is okay, but its more important to thin out the fruit to prevent disease and overloading the branches.

Attachments

• image-695527343.jpg
    image-695527343.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 149
  • image-1272943478.jpg
    image-1272943478.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 167

Latest posts

Top Bottom