PSA be careful with chainsaw, even battery powered (NO pics in thread)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Australian TV director dead after chopping up his hand while trimming hedges with the battery powered chainsaw he had bought earlier in the day.
Also I'm not a doctor but it sounds like his injury needed a tourniquet.

"An Australian TV director died in a freak gardening accident — fatally cutting his hand with a new chainsaw while trimming the hedges at his home.
John Clabburn, 52...was cleaning up the high conifer hedge in the backyard of his family’s home on...April 6 when he slashed his hand with a cordless saw he had just bought that day, his wife told the Daily Telegraph.
Clabburn fell off the ladder he was on, tumbling 10 feet to the ground — and ended up suffering fatal cardiac arrest from the blood loss from his slashed hand.
'When I went out to the back garden, he was crawling on the ground on his stomach,' said Clabburn’s wife, Melissa...
'I kept getting towels to stem the flow, but the blood wouldn’t stop.'
... 'One minute we were admiring how straight the hedge was looking and what a great job he had done — he was so meticulous, he had a great eye for detail — the next, John was in an ambulance.' ..."
https://nypost.com/2021/04/09/australian-tv-director-dies-after-freak-gardening-accident/

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ya I have a Dewalt 20 volt hedge trimmer that will cut through a 1/4" rose bush without slowing down. A chain saw would be my last thought for a tool to use trimming a hedge.

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its not only the saw but trees and bent limbs in a bind will get you too. You have to be careful when cutting trees. I have an ex brother in law with a nice gash down his face. Lots of people down here in SE marked up by them.
I absolutely hate to even cut a leaning ash. Half way through and it will split and flag sometimes up 8-10 up even when you bore the heart out sometimes. And Grapevines you didn't know were in the limbs behind you pulling you into where the tree is falling, yikes. Gets hairy sometimes in the logging woods. Got to pay utmost attention.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Skin and bones don't stand up very well to something designed to cut logs. Be careful...

You are correct, I took a chunk out of my left knee with an idling chainsaw 20 years ago. Not paying attention to where the bar was in relation to my leg while cutting down saplings.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Appears the wife didn't know how to apply a tourniquet, just dobbing at the wound with towels.
That being said, just asked my wife in response to reading this thread if she knew how to properly apply a tourniquet. She did not know.
Looks like we have a teaching moment tomorrow.
Make sure she understands it don't go around yer neck for a head wound... :D

Seriously sorry to hear the guy died. Life can literally change (or disappear) in a heartbeat. :/

Latest posts

Top Bottom