Pseudo Hi Power range report...comparison of 3

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Refresher for those who arent keeping track...so basically everybody.
I wanted a Hi Power, so found an Israeli one at a gun show...bought it, and was excited. That thing was a turd. Had a trigger so stiff it maxed out the pull gauge, wouldnt cycle...basically just looked good. I've always heard how nice Hi Powers are so wanted to give it another try.
Enter the Hi Power Practical I picked up a few years ago. Once I got it, I understood the hype. I removed the disconnect and basically quit shooting my 1911 once I got into the groove with it. It was my new favorite centerfire pistol. Slight problem though, I like the traditional look of oldschool Hi Powers, so I still wasnt satisfied. I knew my grandpa had one he picked up on clearance at a store-closing in 1993, so I kinda bugged him for the last few years and finally acquired it a few months ago. Still unfired for 25 years...until this morning.
Man, this thing is slick as owl $#!t. I thought my Practical was a shooter...but this one has it beat. I cleaned it up, oiled her down with some Slip2000 EWL and what a dream boat..even with the mag disconnect installed. I guess some just get fit better than others or something. I put probably 300 rounds through it today without a single hiccup...and my buddy probably another 100. I almost feel bad popping the cherry of a 25 year old virgin...but it was totally worth it.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Browning Hi Power Walnut.jpg

cz_partizan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice. I have an FEG knock off and it is one of my favorite shooters. Initially I was unimpressed other than with the grip but after replacing all the springs with replacementsfrom BHP Solutions and doing some minor stoning, it was a night and day difference. One of these days I’ll find an actual FN at the right price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RKM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an Israeli Hi Power and a FEG. The Israeli is nuts accurate, feeds anything that I throw in it and has never failed on ejection. I just got the FEG and haven't had a chance to shoot it but upon disassembly it appears to be as well made as any Belgian I have seen. Someone down the line did remove the mag safety on the FEG, but the action feels as smooth as butter.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the mag disconnect...on my Practical, the trigger felt gritty until I removed the mag disconnect. My new one pictured above still has the disconnect, and does not feel gritty. I'm tempted to remove it anyways, see how much nicer it makes the trigger.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wonder where between these 3 a FEG would fit as far as smoothness
As the previous owner of ten (10) FN-made Browning Hi Powers (including two aluminum-framed "lightweight" models), three FEG clones, two Arcus 94 full size clones, and a FM M90 clone, here are my impressions of the various models:

Of the three FEGs, two had triggers (with mag safeties removed) that were every bit as good as the best of my FNs. Triggers on the ten BHPs varied widely, from rough and gritty to superb (all, likewise, without their mag safeties). Best of them all was a MKII "black barrel" pistol which I never should have let go. The reliability of the trio of FEGs was outstanding, the best of them equal to the best of my BHPs. Accuracy was the same, from good to outstanding with both BHPs and FEGs.

The FM M90 was made in Argentina (there is a later M95, and a shortened "Detective" model), and it was a fine pistol as well. Many BHP parts interchange (I installed a BHP extended safety on my M90 and it worked very well). I sometimes swapped the satin-nickeled FM slide and barrel assembly onto my hard-chromed Practical frame to create my own "silver" Hi Power. The FM M90 was an accurate and reliable pistol, and I expect the very similar M95 to do equally well. I've always lusted after one of the shortened barrel/slide models known as the Detective. I have seen only one, at a gun show years ago, and I spent my money on a 1908 Colt .380 instead (wish I'd bought the FM!).

The Bulgarian-made Arcus 94 is the best bang for the buck in BHP clones. The slide and frame are squared off on the 94, rather than rounded as in the original Brownings, giving the pistol a rather distinctive look. The beefed up slide and frame make the Arcus 94 the only Hi Power type pistol that is completely safe to use with a steady diet of +P ammunition. The triggers on these are very good--good enough that I did not remove the mag safeties on them immediately, which I do as a matter of course with the Browning guns. I've handled/shot a pair of the Arcus 94 Compacts, and they are fine shooting little guns. Best of all, the 94s can still be found for $200-$300 if you're willing to look for one.

I have no experience with the new Tisas clones out of Turkey. I may have to get one....

Of all the Hi Powers that have come and gone around Mouse Manor, one of the favorites was an FN-marked .40 S&W model with the Safe Fast Shooting system (SFS). The SFS is a brilliant design, allowing the user to carry a single-action gun with the hammer down, yet it comes into action just as quickly as any other Hi Power type pistol. These SFS-equipped guns were made only for two years (2003 and '04). If I could find one in 9mm, I would probably snap it up.

Last edited:

Gary@CCWsafe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got it back when my father passed in 2007. I carry it and shoot it on occasion. The 9mm barrel drops in. The 40 has a thicker slide that makes it as Ted Yost (I think) said "not hi Powerly". I dont notice it much over my 9mm's but I enjoy shooting my 9s more.

Latest posts

Top Bottom