Pulled the tube bender out of the moth balls for a small project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
There is a bit of an art to bending pipe. I built a couple of stock car roll cages back when I was racing.

The ones I built were designed similar to this one and custom made for a full steel bodied car.
7993fa830100726b9f5fcff39e27a10c.jpg

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How long did it take to build something like that? What did you use for the design? Did you have design drawings?

There is a bit of an art to bending pipe. I built a couple of stock car roll cages back when I was racing.

The ones I built were designed similar to this one and custom made for a full steel bodied car.
7993fa830100726b9f5fcff39e27a10c.jpg

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
How long did it take to build something like that? What did you use for the design? Did you have design drawings?
It's been about thirty years ago so I don't remember exactly how long it took. I just remember using all my spare time building and working on race cars for several years.

Back then we didn't have the internet so I just found pictures and drawings of NASCAR roll cages and went from there.

Like I said, these were full bodied cars with just the doors and front clip removed so I custom fitted the roll cage to the inside of the car body. It was a lot of work but it was also fun at the time.

My inlaws were plumbers so they had a nice pipe bender setup. I would cut, bend, and fit the pipe and do a little tack welding then my brother in law would finish weld it all up.

I wouldn't have the energy or drive to build cars these days but back then I was ready to conquer the world.

Latest posts

Top Bottom