Pump shotguns…. Useless?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well... When you come up against a determined opponent I wouldn't count on that. So it worked for you on occasion. That doesn't change what I said. It simply means you're employing bad and/or outdated tactics and you were fortunate.

I've inadvertently ran a stop sign or stop light on occasion and didn't have an accident. That hardly means it isn't unsafe.

Anyone who advocates for that as a sound defensive use of a shotgun is foolish.
I fully agree that using the sound of 'racking' a 12 ga. as a pre-defense tactics is foolish . . . on a battlefield when facing a trained opponent, but in most cases the opponent you're squaring off with isn't trained, is just a low-life punk looking for easy, and generally a coward who does not want a shooting confrontation.

It's not about killing someone it's about eliminating the threat, and if all it takes is the sound of 'racking' your 12 ga. to eliminate the threat, then great!

For those that advocate the 'shoot first, then ask questions' idea, killing someone (what shotguns are exceptionally good for) opens up a big can of legal, financial, and emotional 'worms' that you do not want in your [hopefully still non-incarcerated] life. Best to just give the 'perp' every opportunity to vacate the area on their own volition, then notify the authorities.

Last edited:

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
“Certain Instances”??? I’m trying to think of what instances you’re thinking of where they aren’t “viable”.
Not so much as not-viable, but certainly more difficult to use in a prone position (same as lever action) where personal movement needs to be low/non-existent). Antelope hunting (Wyoming) on grassland/plains with 12 ga. slug comes to mind.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gun #1 870. Breacher choke, ported barrel, oversize safety, ghost ring sights, Hogue short stock, surefire forend, +1 magazine extension

Gun #2 Remington VersaMax. Breacher choke, ported barrel, oversize safety, Mesa mag extension, oversize bolt release.

Pic #4 is the VMax in action. You can see the shot column as well as the gas from the ports. It'ss like shooting a video game.
Revived!

Latest posts

Top Bottom