Pump shotguns…. Useless?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@dennishoddy I’m a big Model 12 fan. This old girl was made in 1947, the same year my mother was born so a grabbed it and restored it having it reblued while I did the wood work. It’s really my go to for trap/dove. When I got it, it was in pretty rough shape but darn thing turned out pretty nice even if I do say so myself. drat! Couldn’t find one after the bluing, I’ll see if I can take one in the morning if anyone’s interested 😉View attachment 304867View attachment 304868View attachment 304869View attachment 304872View attachment 304870View attachment 304871
Dang! That’s some beautiful wood on that buttstock and you did a great job restoring it.

Mine is a 1928 year model given to me because it had lock up issues. Found the issue, replaced the part and all was good.
Don’t have any before pics but the buttstock was broken and had an old piece of asbestos brake lining as a pad held on with a flat and Phillips screw.
Bought an unfinished stock from a place in Missouri and put 20 some coats of Birchwood Casey finish on it and had the metal rust blued which was what they did almost 100 years ago.
6 rounds in the factory tube and one in the chamber had it known as a poachers gun back in the day.
I’m not a good gun photographer but here it is.
4AFC679D-8A57-412A-8694-2E97AEEF5D05.jpeg

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can you shoot 2-3/4 low brass field loads and 3" mag 00 buck from the same gun?
My beretta 20ga and 12ga gas guns will shoot on both ends of the spectrum reliably. At least so far.
@dennishoddy I’m a big Model 12 fan. This old girl was made in 1947, the same year my mother was born so a grabbed it and restored it having it reblued while I did the wood work. It’s really my go to for trap/dove. When I got it, it was in pretty rough shape but darn thing turned out pretty nice even if I do say so myself. drat! Couldn’t find one after the bluing, I’ll see if I can take one in the morning if anyone’s interested 😉View attachment 304867View attachment 304868View attachment 304869View attachment 304872View attachment 304870View attachment 304871
That’s effin beautiful.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now that I have your attention and a few tail feather ruffled, I’m hoping to start a conversation about shotguns. Specifically, about differences in shotgun actions and their purpose.

I find myself wanting to sell my pump guns and use that money towards a beretta 1301 tactical. I don’t find I use them. They’re simply my “loaner guns” when I don’t have anything else to loan out. With me at least, my semi’s/double barrels are my primary hunting shotguns, and my pumps are all platforms with multiple barrels that I can loan out or keep short barrels on for special purposes. Mostly wasting ammo/having fun at the range or loaded with #4 buck to be used as close up coyote medicine.

In terms of utility, pump guns rule. You can have one pump gun, and any number of barrels available to swap at a moments notice. Slugs, home defense, birds, you have it all. But the rate of fire is slower than modern semi autos and even double barrel guns if you have a little practice. You’re much more likely to have jams than with a quality, well maintained semi auto or double barrel, simply because you add more human element to the function of the firearm. I feel that semi autos have their utility, and double barrels have their class. Where does that leave pump guns? What (other than money) is stopping you guys from selling your pump guns and going all semi/double barrel? I feel like I’m missing something (other than a beretta 1301) that is completely obvious.
I’m of the opposite mind set. Semi autos shotguns tend to be ammo sensitive. That can cause misfeeds or jams with some light loads. Probably need to use full hunting loads for best reliability.

If one is trained or well practiced they will be less likely to short stroke a pump. I’ve played with 870s but my training has been predominantly with Mossbergs and I’ve personally never had a misfeed or jam. Not saying it can’t happen.

TeamTomlyn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have 2 flavors for go to shotguns. 11-87 Tactical and a few 870s. I LOVE my 11-87 and have carried it for years especially for shooting either my slugs or my buck shot; 98% reliable. Now my 870s, those are my work horses. If I can chamber it it will shoot and as long as i can work the pump and the trigger it is 100%.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now that I have your attention and a few tail feather ruffled, I’m hoping to start a conversation about shotguns. Specifically, about differences in shotgun actions and their purpose.

I find myself wanting to sell my pump guns and use that money towards a beretta 1301 tactical. I don’t find I use them. They’re simply my “loaner guns” when I don’t have anything else to loan out. With me at least, my semi’s/double barrels are my primary hunting shotguns, and my pumps are all platforms with multiple barrels that I can loan out or keep short barrels on for special purposes. Mostly wasting ammo/having fun at the range or loaded with #4 buck to be used as close up coyote medicine.

In terms of utility, pump guns rule. You can have one pump gun, and any number of barrels available to swap at a moments notice. Slugs, home defense, birds, you have it all. But the rate of fire is slower than modern semi autos and even double barrel guns if you have a little practice. You’re much more likely to have jams than with a quality, well maintained semi auto or double barrel, simply because you add more human element to the function of the firearm. I feel that semi autos have their utility, and double barrels have their class. Where does that leave pump guns? What (other than money) is stopping you guys from selling your pump guns and going all semi/double barrel? I feel like I’m missing something (other than a beretta 1301) that is completely obvious.
The only reason a pump is viable for those who those in situations where you need to choose different rounds, for instance it‘s very easy to pull a slug off your side saddle shell holder and drop it in without having to push in the tube. For instance you are out hunting rabbits or squirrels and you come across a black bear with cubs, of hell eject the #8 and drop in a slug. Or you are on you land and kids are breaking into your barn , eject buckshot and drop in rock salt LOL

I would guess the only other plus would be reliability (no gas or inertia system to fail all though they are pretty reliable these days)

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Benelli M3 sits in the corner of my bedroom. That's my home defense gun. I got the M3 because it's the best of both worlds. With a flip of a switch it goes from semi-auto to pump. I basically wanted a semi-auto shot gun with less worry about the semi-auto malfunctioning over the long haul.

Attachments

• 091A0B45-3B5A-4752-A15E-FB2D670B20C8.jpeg
    091A0B45-3B5A-4752-A15E-FB2D670B20C8.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

icarus_85

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only reason I keep my Winchester models 12 and 1200 is pure nostalgia. They were both inherited gifts from my grandfather. They are what I learned to shoot and bird hunt with as a young man. I own a couple of semi-auto shotguns as well and they are fine guns to be sure. They are convenient, rugged, and for the most part easy to maintain. However, I still go shoot my pumps at least a couple of times a year because they just remind me of another time and place in my life that was special.

Latest posts

Top Bottom