Pump shotguns…. Useless?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's just a ridiculous thing to say for a gun that's been in continuous production for 35 years (so you must have a really young grandpa). It's universally regarded as a very reliable shotgun. Mine's been perfect with the exception of certain light field loads...a round for which this model was never intended. As a matter of fact it shouldn't cycle light loads at all but will with some Federal loads. I don't know why that is (it shouldn't but it does) because I bought it new and it hasn't been modified. The model may be showing it's age but to say it's junk is not even close to reality.

YOU may not like it and you may have even scored one with problems. That doesn't translate to the others. I've also never had to change O-rings that some claim are so problematic. Big deal. It's cheap and it's easy...like changing a recoil spring in most any handgun.

Furthermore, mine is a Police (also called the "Special Purpose") model. It has a different gas system than the standard 11-87 (or the port is different, at least) and with the standard barrel it's specifically designed only for heavy loads like buckshot and slugs. And with those it's an excellent performer and has never failed. I've heard some say the 11-87P won't cycle unless fired from a well-supported position. I've never tried to verify this.

The standard model is also 1/2 to 1/3 the price (or even less) than some of the models you mentioned and not everyone has that sort of budget.

Few things are more irritating than people who confuse their opinions with fact.

ETA: I forgot to mention that I believe the 11-87P was discontinued by Remington many years ago...maybe around 2008 or thereabouts. I'd have to look it up to be sure.
Honestly it isnt a ridiculous thing to say the 11-87 super mag was plagued with issues…..It was junk just like the people of Remington who knowingly sold the defective 700 for years and years and years and killed a few people in the process. You can pound your chest on the Remington shotgun all you like, the 11-87 only shot 2 3/4 for decades, the 11-87 Super Mat (could shoot all 3 but you had to change the seal for 3 1/2). My son bought one too but his would not cycle worth a damn. So I sold mine within a few months of purchase before I had any problems with it, If you want to buy shotgun buy a benelli, browning, or beretta (in that order) Buy once, Cry once (for generations) I expect my grandson to be using my SBE one day (well if the world is still here)
But my Beef with Remington is STRONG after researching the problems with the 700 that they were FULLY AWARE OF! They deserve EVERY BANKRUPTCY they filed!

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Honestly it isnt a ridiculous thing to say the 11-87 super mag was plagued with issues…..It was junk just like the people of Remington who knowingly sold the defective 700 for years and years and years and killed a few people in the process. You can pound your chest on the Remington shotgun all you like, the 11-87 only shot 2 3/4 for decades, the 11-87 Super Mat (could shoot all 3 but you had to change the seal for 3 1/2). My son bought one too but his would not cycle worth a damn. So I sold mine within a few months of purchase before I had any problems with it, If you want to buy shotgun buy a benelli, browning, or beretta (in that order) Buy once, Cry once (for generations) I expect my grandson to be using my SBE one day (well if the world is still here)
But my Beef with Remington is STRONG after researching the problems with the 700 that they were FULLY AWARE OF! They deserve EVERY BANKRUPTCY they filed!
The Remington 700 is a rifle not a shotgun. You might want to do you homework a wee bit.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Remington 700 is a rifle not a shotgun. You might want to do you homework a wee bit.
I know what the hell the 700 is …..the key point is its made by Remington and it’s why I despise them as a company and I am glad they went bankrupt they deserved it 100%. It’s why I sold all my Remington equipment and hope they never gain traction again. Any company that knowingly keeps a dangerous product out there should go out of business. Especally a company that tried to redesign the trigger but the lawyers stopped them because “it would be an admission of guily”.…All of Remington name and all can burn to the ground

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know what the hell the 700 is …..the key point is its made by Remington and it’s why I despise them as a company and I am glad they went bankrupt they deserved it 100%. It’s why I sold all my Remington equipment and hope they never gain traction again. Any company that knowingly keeps a dangerous product out there should go out of business. Especally a company that tried to redesign the trigger but the lawyers stopped them because “it would be an admission of guily”.…All of Remington name and all can burn to the ground
Uhmmm. Remington is history. They went bankrupt and liquidated all of their assets. Other companies bought the naming rights and make stuff under it now. IOW, some stuff still says Remington, but it isn't the Remington you are talking about.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When my Dad passed my sister grabbed two of the guns he had a Ferlach .222 over 20 gauge and my Dad's Model 21 SXS serial number 451. I used to hunt Fox Squirrel when we would go out with it.. The 21 was about 85/90% with most bluing still there. I had taken my Dad a 6X8X3 safe years earlier for his guns, when I worked for Diebold and Mosler Safe Co's. I lived 350 miles away from my Dads house so wasn't around to see all the goings on. Safe was in a cinderblock three car garage. He had about 16 firearms in it. In the winter sometimes the temps would get down to sub zero temperatures. So we put in one of those heating rods to keep the safe warm making sure the red light was on by checking it every day just in case. Well during a period of time the rod was not working so my Brother-in-Law decided to make a bigger hole in the side of the safe and save some money by installing a electric lightbulb socket with a 60 watt bulb inside. Well you couldn't tell whether it was on or off. And Yep it burned out. The guns sweated and some rusted mostly Model 12's. as they just sat there in the condensation. The Winchester model 21 was spared as it was luckily in the house. A lot of the firearms were greatly devalued because of rust. My Dad had a Colt Model .357 which was the predecessor of the Python which was safely in the house. Never liked that dumb BIL and how!
That .222 over 20 ga would be one of the holy grail guns I've always wanted. .22 hornet over 20 ga would be the other.
FIL had me in the will to take his guns. One was a .22 RF over .410 Savage that was surprisingly tight in the action. Looked for one of those O/U's for years at gun shows, most of which were worn out. People that owned them thought putting oil on the hinge was dumb or something so the lockups were very loose.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Uhmmm. Remington is history. They went bankrupt and liquidated all of their assets. Other companies bought the naming rights and make stuff under it now. IOW, some stuff still says Remington, but it isn't the Remington you are talking about.
I know this they got what they deserved, but if it says Remington on it I won’t buy it not even the ammo. Here are the winners of the different dvidisions

Latest posts

Top Bottom