Pump shotguns…. Useless?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That .222 over 20 ga would be one of the holy grail guns I've always wanted. .22 hornet over 20 ga would be the other.
FIL had me in the will to take his guns. One was a .22 RF over .410 Savage that was surprisingly tight in the action. Looked for one of those O/U's for years at gun shows, most of which were worn out. People that owned them thought putting oil on the hinge was dumb or something so the lockups were very loose.
All for the sake of a drop of oil. Sad indeed.
Ive heard him mention all you need is a shotgun before, but this video tops all of his stupidity remarks by far.
Well guys I guess it tis time to stop picking on the much belittled pump shotgun. On the cover of Firearms News is a article on the New Mossberg 590S. Good read so good I am now considering one of those Puppies for dear old Dad here!

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just don't understand how pumps are more "versatile" than autos. They shoot the same shells. I can swap the barrel on my dad's Remington 1100 just as fast as anyone with their 870.

I can port load my Browning with a full mag just like with any pump. Benelli Novas and Super Novas are even easier yet but are pumps so slower to shoot.

A good auto with good ammo will do everything a pump will do and do it easier and faster.
I don't have vast knowledge of shotguns but do enjoy shooting my 870 and my Beretta A400 Extrema. Ohhhh, that A400 Extrema shoots like butter, is so smooth and feels so nice in the hand. I guess it's probably like having sex for the first time but it being with a supermodel.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have vast knowledge of shotguns but do enjoy shooting my 870 and my Beretta A400 Extrema. Ohhhh, that A400 Extrema shoots like butter, is so smooth and feels so nice in the hand. I guess it's probably like having sex for the first time but it being with a supermodel.
I have an A400 upland. I love that gun more than an awful lot of things.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep. It seems like all the spaghetti gages have something special going on. Those Italians definitely have their craft worked out. That old ugly Browning humpback has some magic too.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It might also get you killed. Sound is a classic target indicator and alerts your adversary to your position.

It sounds tough and cool when you say that but in the real world it's a stupid tactic.
not everyone knows what that pumping sound is. Movies have told us everyone knows the sound but i ran a test in some classes i was teaching and guess what, not everyone knew that sound.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A lot of semi auto shotguns dont like low recoil shells. Bout all I can think of. Maybe most semi auto shotguns cant have folding stocks do to recoil springs in the stock. Otherwise dunno
gas semis will get dirty and malfunction. my Benellie ineteria operated semi will get a little dirty and jam some, but it takes a lot of shots. pump gun - just never saw one jam because of how dirty it was. for years police and military carried pumps vs semi because pumps more dependable and probably cost less.

Latest posts

Top Bottom