Pump shotguns…. Useless?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilcountry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It might also get you killed. Sound is a classic target indicator and alerts your adversary to your position.

It sounds tough and cool when you say that but in the real world it's a stupid tactic.
It is if you use it as a "tactic". However if your pump is "car ready" and it's time to chamber a round that sound will often de-escalate a situation.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
SOME of the problem with a semi-auto NOT cycling lower pressure shells is the shooter soft shouldering the gun.

Amount of gas and pressure is what works the action. Excess is vented. It is a fine balance.

I had a 3" 1100. To cycle light loads, i really had to lean into it. I shot a lot of skeet. Good training and helped with recoil control on heavy loads.

I have a 3 1/2" semi-auto. It cycles 3" and all but the lightest "dove loads". Learning to "lean in" is part of why so many loads work so well. I didn't buy it to shoot light loads, but it is nice to know what I can.
Newer technology has three ports in the shotgun to vent according to the round used. The ports are designed to operate the action with dove loads to 3" magnum loads so a gas gun can operate with multiple loads.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All I can say is I am really wishing I stil had a good 20ga pump OR semi. Sadly I got rid of the 20 mossy I had bought for the wife since she never fired it and I had a couple of 12ga. Now that I can no longer shoot a 12 I wish I had a 20. :P

Have a 12 to trade?

Grandson MIGHT want to trade his 20 for a 12.

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
not everyone knows what that pumping sound is. Movies have told us everyone knows the sound but i ran a test in some classes i was teaching and guess what, not everyone knew that sound.
And in my opinion so is a flashlight just like the sound of racking a Shotgun sound of saying "Here I am" all lit up for you!

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
- Pump for home defense (as long as it is a mossberg)

- Pump for slug gun if you deer hunt that way

- Auto for birds or skeet

- Auto if on a swat team with a side arm & buddies in tow

- Overunder for wall art or nostalgia bird hunting

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
gas semis will get dirty and malfunction. my Benellie ineteria operated semi will get a little dirty and jam some, but it takes a lot of shots. pump gun - just never saw one jam because of how dirty it was. for years police and military carried pumps vs semi because pumps more dependable and probably cost less.
I still have my Ithaca I used in Vietnam when protecting F-4U Phantoms and F-100's from VC Sappers. I learned to rack quietly for my own safety. However once fired all that quietness went South!

Last edited:

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
gas semis will get dirty and malfunction. my Benellie ineteria operated semi will get a little dirty and jam some, but it takes a lot of shots. pump gun - just never saw one jam because of how dirty it was. for years police and military carried pumps vs semi because pumps more dependable and probably cost less.
I still have my Ithaca I used in Vietnam when protecting F-4U Phantoms from VC Sappers
i don't own a lot of semis so i don't know if they all will but my Beretta 391 will shoot low brass and 3" shells. At the range some semis have trouble with low recoil loads.
I use Buck and Ball in the house on two legged Varmit's.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
- Pump for home defense (as long as it is a mossberg)

- Pump for slug gun if you deer hunt that way

- Auto for birds or skeet

- Auto if on a swat team with a side arm & buddies in tow

- Overunder for wall art or nostalgia bird hunting
An Over and Under can’t be beat for skeet, trap, sporting clays, etc. if you are a reloader.

Latest posts

Top Bottom