Putting some feelers out for a dog

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter and your issues with pets. I have been considering rehoming my Bassett hound I have had since August. He is around 1.5 year old. He is a super sweet boy and very friendly. He is however still in his puppy stage and chews when he is bored. We dont have the time to pay him the attention he needs and deserves. He's great around kids, and other pets. He's playful but genital. He doe not realize how big and clumsy is though. He is a hound and will get after a scent so outdoors fence is a must. He's neutered and has had shots. He has a very plush and soft coat. If you think there might be a possibility of a good fit reach out and we can talk.

IMG_20200919_194855.jpg
IMG_20200904_080910.jpg

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
GSP's are such wonderful dogs.

They're that prolific. I've heard claims that between 4 and 20% of the dogs in the US are Pit bulls or mixes thereof. But one thing to take into consideration is that the people who take these dogs in at the pound are either ladies at the front desk, or animal welfare officers in the field. A lot of times its just a guess, and pit bulls are kindof the john doe of dogs in terms of description.
Take a look online. They all look like pits to me.

https://www.okc.gov/departments/ani...ervices/adoptions/pets-available-for-adoption

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a rescue Doberman. They screwed up his ear when they bobbed it for a show dog and it was floppy instead of erect. Can you believe they were going to put him down because of that?

He was already obedience trained and house broke. Murphy was one of the most intelligent loyal dogs I had. I sure miss him.

:cry11:

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I currently have a little Pocket Pit that we got out of a rescue. I swear that dog is the most gentle, loving animal you could ask for. The only other dog that holds a candle to him was the English Bull we got out of a rescue. Don’t turn your nose up at a pit if you can get one out of a rescue. This little guy is loyal to the end. He has been my best buddy since day one.

View attachment 206382
I have a 4 year old pocket pit/ bully and she is the best dog I’ve ever had. The most loyal and loving. I also have another pit mix and she is great too. My two girls love each other to death. I’ve had my bully since she was 8 weeks old and my mix I rescued after someone dumped her off after having puppies. I would love to find those people. Anyone that can do that is one sick person. I won’t ever own another breed.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OKC pound has pit bulls out the wazzoo! About 5 lab mixes a pointer mix and a few bulldog mixes.

Why are pit bulls so plentiful at the pounds? Are people that scared of them or are they that prolific?
A lot of folks are scared of them. They have gotten such a bad rap. The owners are the ones that create the mean ones. They aren’t born that way. Pits are very loyal and very protective. I have come into contact with more than I can count being a meter reader and I’ve never had an issue with them. I’ve been bit once and it was a little yapper. I’ve contacted one pit that seemed extremely aggressive but once I came into the yard and kneeled down it came over to me and I was able to pet it. It was sweet as can be. It was just being protective of its yard.

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love our GSD mix, but they do come with some difficulties unique from other breeds. My wife had a lab mix that she still holds up on an altar for all others to be compared to. I had mentioned wanting more of a working breed that can be a swiss army knife of companionship and purpose and I had always admired GSDs and Malinois. I guess she didnt hear my caveat (which I am famous for much to her chagrin), that they require a LOT of input and patient conditioning to socialize them to the house rules and that they are emotionally needy haha. Luckily we got him with his littermate who has more Catahoula traits, so they help occupy each other while we are working. They like to dig, they LOVE mud puddles, and they tend to chew when they get anxious or frustrated. As with most other highly intelligent working breeds, they also get bored easily which is no good for anything you tell them NOT to chew on.

They are about 8 months old now and are really getting the hang of what's kosher and what is not. The only real exception at this point is if we go run errands and dont pet them and tell them we will be back or dont spend enough time telling them good night, they tend to take it out on her welcome mat in the sunroom they sleep in hahaha. We are slowly getting holes filled in and putting in deterrents to discourage digging, but it will probably be a battle until our sod really takes hold and has good coverage.

On the plus side, both dogs are extremely observant and intelligent. They have socialized a lot just by watching our interactions with each other and are eager to please. We will need a bigger vehicle or a camper shell for my truck if we want to take them with us on trips though, they are each about 65lbs already with no end in sight.
Yes. on all th above. Our Dutch Shepherd Mix is almost three and still will dig when bored. She still has never seen a mud puddle she did not love and she is ball OBSESSED. She is the PERFECT dog for us.
3E6F2C40-F526-485C-A70F-838E82B18E21.jpeg

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve never done the rescue thing, because I just like puppies. However, unless you and/or your daughter are up for the trials of puppyhood, I really think a rescue might be the best route.

If it were for my daughter, a lab or lab cross would be my first choice, but I would consider a Golden or a doodle too.

I live in east Texas, and if you would like to expand your search area, PM me. I’d be happy to help.:thumb:

Latest posts

Top Bottom