Q about blackout subs on a Dillon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see suggestions to use the .30 Carbine funnel to flare a .300 blackout case when using flat base heavy projectiles.

Does anybody do this on a progressive (Such as 650 or 750) and does the flare eliminate the need to ride the projectile into the seating die?
Or does it only solve "shaving" on cast projectiles? I'm using the standard 300 blackout funnel which doesnt flare, and it "works" but it would be nice to get my fingers out of the way sooner.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I chamfer the case mouths also on rifle cases that need flared.
Helps start the bullet a bit more.

I do not load 300 Blackout but i do like the Lee universal flare die for all my cast rifle rounds.
Wonder if that would give you a better flare.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well on the Dillons, the flare happens on the powder drop so you gotta use one of their funnels. If on a single stage that might work but not so much for the progressive.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I see.
I have some Lee pistol dies that flare and charge the case like that.
I did see one issue with those and do not know if your dies do this.

The issue was as the case was flared it would "shave" copper from the case mouth and you would see tiny sparkles of copper around the ram or on the case mouth lip.

I fixed that issue by taking the flare piece and polishing it with 1500 grit sandpaper and then polish it with Meguiers machine glaze.
Super smooth and looked like chrome when finished.

Bullets thanked me as they inserted into the cases with much more even pressures.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm loading 300 Whisper on a 650. I use Redding dies with a Dillion powder funnel for an AK47. I don't see how this powder funnel can flare a case mouth like it would on a Dillion Square Deal B press. So, I guess I'm supporting the cast bullets until they enter the seating die. All my jacketed bullets are boat tails. I use a Lyman Neck Expander die to flare cases when I load .308 with cast bullets on the 650.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah the 7.62x39 funnel is like the one that comes with the 300BLK caliber exchange kit, no provision for flaring, its just a funnel dump. Using boat tails, that would not be an issue.

I am using Berrys 220gr spire points which are a flat base. After I posted this thread (because I read about the "trick" on another forum), I looked at Dillons website and they specify the .30 Carbine powder funnel as also 300BLK flare. Would have been nice to know before I got the conversion kit but I guess I'll add that funnel to the box of spare parts and order a "C" powder funnel.

Capture.JPG

20210729134738_20210126143540_Blackout.jpg

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IF this works how I think/hope it will, it means I can potentially run a bullet feeder in the future. The bullet feeder works great on my 9mm setup on the 750 but I wonder if the bullet length of these 220s will create issues with it wanting to fall over, regardless of flare.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I put together this from my Dillon pieces before I knew it was a thing have a 223 and 30 carbine kit plan on loading 225 cast so I knew I needed a fair. All the load data says magnum primers but all I have is standard small rifle so it will have to do for now

Latest posts

Top Bottom