Quail Season could be another good one

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huntemup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was in SW, NW, and SC part of the state over the past week and saw an abundance of quail the likes of which I'd never seen. I talked to a buddy who lives east of Tulsa and he said he's seeing them on his land for the first time in at least 10 years. This morning, i had 8-10 cross the road in front of me on the back side of Tinker AFB. I've worked on this base since 1999, and thaose were the first I've ever seen. I was telling a coworker about it and he told me he heard them whistling back in early summer while fishing at Draper.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Quail used to be a given when I was a kid and young adult. Then the drought years hit and they became all but extinct. Last year was wetter and we had a good crop. This year seems even better with good rains spread out regularly over time like it used to be. I'm thinking it's gonna be a better quail year than last.

Edit: I wonder if we are going to get a nice strong and WET cold front rolling through on Sept-1. That used to be a given too. Screwed up dove season like clockwork.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are finally, after 25 years, getting to be pretty plentiful here at the house. Several coveys around and I hear them every evening in the yard. I miss hunting over a good pointer like when I was a kid.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They are finally, after 25 years, getting to be pretty plentiful here at the house. Several coveys around and I hear them every evening in the yard. I miss hunting over a good pointer like when I was a kid.
My Britt went through his prime when the drought had quail populations low.
He's still good for a half day hunt but that's it.
Sadly he won't be replaced. I'm retired and the wife will be soon. Our travel plans don't include dogs and it's extremely expensive to board them.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm from north central Kansas, and it's been pretty dead up there for years. Last year I saw more birds than I"ve seen in years. Hopefully this season will be even better. Now if the pheasant population around our place would just pick up.

And nice GSP avatar, huntemup. Best bird dog on the planet.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bea and I are ready! I prefer to pheasant hunt but will do lots of both (a little slower than I used to.) Dennis, you should try boarding THREE dogs!

Here she is - getting ready!
004.JPG

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bea and I are ready! I prefer to pheasant hunt but will do lots of both (a little slower than I used to.) Dennis, you should try boarding THREE dogs!
We have a rescue dog, so we have two. It does get expensive and in a small town like I live in there is no facility good enough to satisfy my wife. LOL.
She is a helicopter mom over our dogs.

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Makes me think of some great hunting with my dad when I was about 16. He had a pointer named Alva, believe they guy he bought him from had the same name. Shot a lot of birds within a mile radius of where Kaw Lake dam is over quite a few years. Haven't quail hunted in probably 30 years. :(

Latest posts

Top Bottom