Quail Season could be another good one

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjbrooks7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If he's got any for sale, call Danny at Rush Creek in Wheeler, TX. For the money, you can't go wrong. He's cheaper than most breeders and his bloodline is as good as any for birds in Ok and TX.

I've killed a lot of birds so far this year, but as of about 10 days ago, they've all seemed to be holding really tight and not wanting to move or fly. I think there's been an awful lot of out of state people hunting. Especially out at Black Kettle. I usually go hunt the public land more than my land because there's just more land and birds, but Black Kettle has been hunted hard. I've seen a ton of out of staters with dog boxes running up and down the highways.

The birds at my farm were hard to get up 2 weeks ago. I haven't turned the dog out on them for 2 years and the birds ran like they'd been hunted multiple times. The birds in the panhandle have behaved the same way. I can't explain it. All I can say to anyone that's hunting this year is go slow and be ninja quiet. Gently shut your pickup door, don't talk, don't yell at the dogs, don't slam your tailgate shut and for God's sake turn your dogs beeper off.

Quail are feeding on green grass from under locust trees (that's a given for anytime) and acorns. I haven't banged down a pheasant yet to know what they've been eating. All I've got up so far have been hens. Another bit of insight for beginner bird hunters-hunt around tank batteries!! Quail and pheasants eat the fine gravel to help digestion...

I limited out on Sunday of opening weekend. Just me and my GSP. We got up 12 coveys in 5 hours. I thought it was going to be the best year ever. Since then, the hunting has been slow. I've had to work at it. The birds are there, but they're holding. When your dog gets birdy, just stop. Smoke a cigarette, balance your checkbook, reply to an email. What I'm saying is wait and let the dogs find the birds. The birds are running and if you don't slow down, you'll walk right by them.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Britt is 13 years old with a mild heart murmur, and will be my last bird dog. I'm going to get him out on a couple of short waterways and corner weed areas where I know quail and a few pheasants hang out year after year then retire him.
When I come home from deer hunting those areas, he still gets really excited smelling my clothes and the fender wells on the truck. He knows I've been in his hunting ground.
Man, its tough watching a great dog in the twilight of his hunting life when you know he still wants out there, yet taking him there might kill him.
I'm like him though. I hope I go at the flush of a covey or rooster vs rotting away in a nursing home.

Last edited:

rjbrooks7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's tough when you're dog gets too old to do what they love. What makes it worse is the dog knows it. I'm a firm believer that any great bird dog most certainly deserves a farewell tour. Save the dog all season for that one last special trip. That trip where you're hunting a place with great birds, or just returning to where your dog had her first birds shot over her. We've got 4 dogs and you can see the envy in the eyes of the other 3 whenever my GSP (Star) loads up into the box for the weekend. A man and his birddog is a bond no one knows until they live it.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
3 ducks and goose this morning. Then met up for a couple hours with 9 other guys, with another lab, a pointer and a Vizla. 17 pheasant and 2 quail. Why we didn't get a group pic I have no idea.
20170121_123826-1.jpg
20170121_114224-1.jpg
20170121_133902.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom