Quality brass

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I turned one .308 die into a shoulder bumping die. I honed out the neck portion and the body portion.
It will still push the shoulder back if I twist the die in far enough.
My other .308 die and other dies I have honed a bit and polished them and they do not size the case bodies more than .002" anywhere vs a fired case.
Now some guns my buddies have may not like my rounds but my rifles do.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I turned one .308 die into a shoulder bumping die. I honed out the neck portion and the body portion.
It will still push the shoulder back if I twist the die in far enough.
My other .308 die and other dies I have honed a bit and polished them and they do not size the case bodies more than .002" anywhere vs a fired case.
Now some guns my buddies have may not like my rounds but my rifles do.
I've accomplished this by honing the shell holder --- those are cheaper to mess with. Had to do it on the 22-250 and it appears I had to do it on this 300aac project. It's easy to recognize the ones I've messed with. They get a high polish job compared to the set that is factory. Considering the cost of shell holders compared to dies, I felt it was a good way to go.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of many of his videos I recommend, would be Eric Cortina talking about his sizing process. Pretty sound advice from a pretty solid shooter. His channel is worth a subscription on Youtube IMHO.
I had forgotten I already subscribed to Eric’s channel. He is dead against only neck sizing, he raises a very convincing argument on his preference of FL vs neck sizing.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had forgotten I already subscribed to Eric’s channel. He is dead against only neck sizing, he raises a very convincing argument on his preference of FL vs neck sizing.
I've thought about getting his shirt, but truth be told, while I full length every time I've got work to do on my shootin before I could pull off the shirt!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've accomplished this by honing the shell holder
All my dies will move the shoulder back without any shell holder tweaks.
The dies will also size the body of the case smaller and size the neck smaller.
The die I honed out will not size the neck of the .308 case any at all vs the fired size and will not resize the body either.

Just thinning a shell holder does not get me a die that will only touch the shoulder.
I think I missed something in my explanation.

I have never had a rifle shoot better groups by just neck sizing.
All mine shoot tighter groups with a Full length size.
But I am going to experiment with my next few outings with neck sized only cases and see if it still holds true.

Latest posts

Top Bottom