Question about form 4 status

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I called to check on the status of my form 4 today and they told me quote: "the examiner said there is additional info requested" and if I heard her correctly, she said it would be sent back to the transferor.

I looked at those papers over half a dozen times to make sure all the i's were dotted, the t's were crossed, and nothing left blank so I don't think anything was left off.

Could it mean something else? This is the first time I've done a form 4 so I don't know what's going on exactly.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I called to check on the status of my form 4 today and they told me quote: "the examiner said there is additional info requested" and if I heard her correctly, she said it would be sent back to the transferor.

I looked at those papers over half a dozen times to make sure all the i's were dotted, the t's were crossed, and nothing left blank so I don't think anything was left off.

Could it mean something else? This is the first time I've done a form 4 so I don't know what's going on exactly.

Need a little more info to venture a guess. Was it an individual, trust or corporate transfer? What was it for (MG, SBR, Suppressor, etc..)?

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is both good news and bad news.

The bad news is that the paperwork will be sent back to your dealer for correction and the approval will take a little while longer.

The good news is that this means the paperwork is being "examined" and once the corrected paperwork is received back at BATFE, it should take about another week to be returned approved.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This is both good news and bad news.

The bad news is that the paperwork will be sent back to your dealer for correction and the approval will take a little while longer.

The good news is that this means the paperwork is being "examined" and once the corrected paperwork is received back at BATFE, it should take about another week to be returned approved.

It's been a couple months already so I guess I'll just have to wait it out longer. It sucks, but can't really do anything about it.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was an individual for a suppressor.

Well, that eliminates most of the items that I thought could have been wrong. Did you submit the Certificate of Compliance (Citizenship) Form? Are you sure the CLEO filled in all of the appropriate info for his part? Could the transferor have made a mistake on the make, model or ser. # of the suppressor?

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well, that eliminates most of the items that I thought could have been wrong. Did you submit the Certificate of Compliance (Citizenship) Form? Are you sure the CLEO filled in all of the appropriate info for his part? Could the transferor have made a mistake on the make, model or ser. # of the suppressor?

Yes I sent the certificate of compliance
I'm 99% on the CLEO and transferor doing their parts properly.

When doing a 4473 on regular gun purchases 90% of the time I get delayed, sometimes a couple hours sometimes 2 days, I wonder if that has something to do with it.
I'm hoping it's something simple and an easy fix. I hate the waiting game but it looks like I gotta play a little longer.

blackknight22

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I have heard this,

"the examiner said there is additional info requested"

the forms will be coming back with a "checked box" correction letter. The letters have gone to the buyer or seller depending on what was needed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom