Question About Glock 30SF

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got this for Christmas, purchased used at King's Pawn. A couple of days ago, I got it out to clean and oil it with the hope of getting to the range in a few weeks to try shooting it. Now, I'm not so sure.

After cleaning and oiling, I put it back together and probably worked the slide once or twice. The end of the barrel spring assembly popped out through the hole in the slide below the barrel where the "outer" end of the spring assembly is to be seated.

I couldn't break it back down, so I pushed the end of the spring back in and then was able to break it down again. Looked things over and re-seated the inner end of the assembly, and now it seems to operate fine. I've worked the slide several times and dry-fired the pistol. Now, I want to think that I didn't seat the inner end of the assembly correctly the first time, and that may be what caused it to pop out.

I am NOT a mechanical individual, especially so with firearms, so here are my questions.

Is this kind of normal?
Do I need to take this to a gunsmith?
And mostly, do I need to have this checked out before I take it to shoot at the range?

King's Pawn doesn't allow returns, at least on the firearms.

Any help and advice anyone can give me is very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the spring came off the guide rod, I would replace with an aftermarket rod/spring that will likely cycle smoother anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it this spring assembly? If so not only doesn't sound typical, I'm not sure you could do it if you tried.

upload_2019-2-23_10-57-3.png

I think the spring must have popped over the end cap. At worst, you could probably replace the spring assembly for $20-ish dollars. I think to be on the safe side, I'd probably do that and it's probably cheaper than a gunsmith.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@TerryMiller, It IS indeed common, and happens when one fails to properly seat the aft end of the recoil spring assembly before putting the gun back together. Just to be safe, since the end of the spring has popped off and may now be weaker, replace it with a Glock OEM spring and make sure you seat the RSA correctly from now on and you will have no more problems.

The only other thing that can cause this is a very worn or damaged lug on the barrel where the aft end of the spring seats, but that would be a real longshot. Replace it, put it back together right and carry on.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let me add that it is a good idea to replace the recoil spring on ANY used pistol before you trust it, especially if you intend to carry it or use it a self defense gun. Springs are cheap; funerals aren't. Plus, they are inconvenient. Funerals; that is.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, Guys, especially to druryj. It appeared that nothing came apart, because when I finally broke it back down, the spring assembly seemed to be intact. It just appeared that the center shaft had come out the hole the fat end is seated within.

Since druryj says it is common, I'll be getting another spring. Since I also seldom ever buy parts, I'll have to research where to get an OEM spring assembly. Any particular parts sources that are better than others? Local or should I buy online?

And, to be honest, I was hoping that druryj would have an answer for me.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I buy Glock stuff from www.glockparts.com usually. Fast, shipping has always been fair. You can order online or just call them at 303-903-5465 and order by phone.

I'd get a new spring; test it out, then put the old one in for the range and use the new one for carry maybe. Or just keep the old one as a back up. Glock RSA's should be replaced every 5,000 rounds, per Glock. That's a lotta boolets to shoot between springs..

Latest posts

Top Bottom