Question about medical marijuana and owning a gun.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This isn't for me and trying to find the answer myself is providing conflicting answers so thought I would reach out to the fine people of OSA and see if anyone here is actually dealing with it.

I have a friend who is suddenly interested in becoming a gun owner for, well, obvious reasons considering what's happening around the country. Problem is...they have a medical card and in the system for buying weed. I've seen articles saying no, they can't own a gun if they're also getting weed...and I've seen the opposite. So which is it? Told them I would ask the OSA group, but after that they are on their own for answers! Haha...

Thanks for reading!

Mr E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
they would not be able to purchase a firearm legally from a licensed dealer........ IE: they would not be able to get past the mary jane use question that is on the form. Federal law supercedes state law in this case.
I already know what route they make try to take next, and that would be trying to get it through their spouse. Which, I suppose would work? But if they're not legally allowed to buy one they prooooobably wouldn't be able to legally use one either regardless of the situation.

Defcon Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Under the 1968 GCA you can't have a weed card and possess a firearm nor dwell in an abode that has a firearm or ride in a vehicle on an in part or fully federally funded road with gun in vehicle. Nor enter an establishment that sells or rents firearms. Yep Academy Bass Pro etc.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Under the 1968 GCA you can't have a weed card and possess a firearm nor dwell in an abode that has a firearm or ride in a vehicle on an in part or fully federally funded road with gun in vehicle. Nor enter an establishment that sells or rents firearms. Yep Academy Bass Pro etc.

Yep ... this whole thing is really harshing my mellow ... :cry3:

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I read in an article (that I can't find now),,,
Where the Oklahoma attorney general said,,,
Oklahoma will not require people with a concealed carry permit to turn them in if they apply for a medical marijuana card.

Basically he said that your 2nd amendment rights will not be infringed by Oklahoma if you want a medical marijuana card.

That's fine and dandy as far as it goes,,,
But It does nothing to prevent federal law enforcement from arresting and prosecuting marijuana users.

If you want to purchase a firearm at a legal store,,,
You have to answer that "controlled substance" question.

Answer it truly and you can't buy a gun,,,
Lie about it and you have just committed a federal crime.

Just a few months ago an Oklahoma man was sentenced to 8 years in federal prison for lying on the form,,,
Granted his lie was about being a felon but the same law is broken if you lie about marijuana use.

Nothing that Oklahoma says or does can override the fact that Fed trumps State.

Tell your friend to buy a ball bat.

Aarond

Latest posts

Top Bottom